Interlaken to Zermatt via Glacier Express route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 3:41:35 #823401

Hi,

I would like to travel from Interlaken to Zermatt on normal train via the Glacier Express route. Please advise what is the best route.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 6:08:03 #920086

Hello Cyber and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

There are 3 routes to explore, each with increasing duration and scenery:

• Interlaken to Zermatt
    • Interlaken to Zermatt via Kandersteg
    • Interlaken to Zermatt via Andermatt

I’d recommend the middle one unless time is either short, in which case choose option 1, or of no consequence, in which case choose option 3 and be prepared for a long day in the saddle.

See also http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/where-do-i-change-stations-for-scenic-train-swap.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 6:33:35 #920087

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you for your swift respond.

• I plan to choose option 3 via Andermatt. When I check SBB website, the route indicate “PE” Direction St.Moritz – Glacier Express. Is this the correct ticket to buy (CHF73.50)?
    • Is it possible that on some day there is no local train with GE route from Zermatt to St. Moritz. Checked SBB website and there is no GE route for on 14/10 and 15/10.
    • If there is no GE route for Zermatt to St. Moritz on 14/10 and 15/10, please advise is there any other options I have instead of toing to St.Moritz.
    • I will be in Switzerland in Oct 2019 for 8 days and below is my initial itinerary.
    • 10/10 > Zurich airport to Lucerne
    • 11/10 > Mt Tiltis > Interlaken
    • 12/10 > Jungraujoch
    • 13/10 > Interlaken > Zermatt
    • 14/10 > Zermatt > Moritz (local train via GE route)
    • 15/10 > Moritz > Zurich
    • 16/10 > Dept Zurich

Thank you for your kind assistance.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 7:03:07 #920088

If you see a train marked PE that is the actual Glacier Express. It stops running mid-October hence why it disappears. Regular trains run all year round. The Glacier Express requires (fairly expensive) seat reservations. Regional trains don’t.

Doing the Glacier Express route in both directions (once on 13th and once on 14th) seems a little overkill to me, but if you like long days in trains then that’s your choice.

If you go Interlaken to Zermatt via Kandersteg you at least have a chance to get up to Gornergrat that afternoon. If you go the long way round you won’t have much time in Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 7:41:08 #920089

Hi Rockoyster,

Sorry, I am confused over the train via Glacier Express.

I understood that local train also run same route as Glacier Express which is cheaper and does not require seat reservations, so I should search for local train without marked PE and just check it run same/similar route as GE Express?

I will stay 1 night in Zermatt, therefore it is ok to take longer time on the train from Interlaken to Zermatt via Andermatt. Will go up to Gornergrat and Matterhorn.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 8:03:07 #920090

Hi Cyber,

The price of tickets for the regular trains is exactly the same as the Glacier Express over the same route. In Switzerland, a train, is a train, is a train. The fares are based on routes, not how posh the train is. It’s the seat reservation that increases the cost for the actual Glacier Express.

If you go from Interlaken to Luzern to Andermatt to Zermatt one day and return Zermatt to St Moritz the next day you will be covering perhaps the most boring part of the GEX route, between Andermatt and Brig, twice. Not something I would do. Or maybe I misunderstand your intentions but you started off saying “I would like to travel from Interlaken to Zermatt on normal train via the Glacier Express route”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 8:08:39 #920091

Hi Rockoyster,

Noted with thanks.

I will try to re-work on my itinerary

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 16:49:15 #920092

Hi Cyber,

Here you find a good explanation about the difference between regular and panoramic trains, please refer to the “Regular trains versus Glacier Express” part: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress.

I am not sure if you are already looking for rail passes, but according to your itinerary an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass would be really useful for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 17:42:24 #920093

Hi IIdiko,

Thank you for sending the link on Regular train versus GE, this is what I am looking for 🙂

Yes, I am planning to buy the 8D Swiss Pass.

thank you:)

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Zermatt via Glacier Express route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.