Interlaken to Zermatt via Visp or Brig?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 12:48:09 #821781

We are going to Switzerland on 14th June for 1 week.We will be staying in Interlaken and wish to make a nostalgic visit to Zermatt’

We will have the Half Fare Card and the Bernese Oberland Pass which would cover us as far as Brig.

Looking at the timetables it would appear that travelling via Visp would allow us more time because of the times of the Zermatt connection

My question is:If we take the Visp route how much of the journey would we actually have to pay for please.Would it be from Spiez to Zermatt?

Any assistance would be welcome,

Marina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 18:23:12 #913059

Hi Marina and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Have a look at the Swiss Half Fare Card map for info: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty

A link to your regional pass http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and

You will see that you have to buy a ticket from Frutigen to Zermatt if you don’t travel via Visp. But I think you’re right and it’s actually from Spiez, because InterCity trains don’t stop in Frutigen. You can use the timetable to use the Swiss Half Fare Card with it.

More info about Zermatt for your visit: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 23:43:55 #913060

This answer isn’t quite detailed enough.

Here is what you have to do:

The Berner Oberland Pass is – as a kind of ‘special extra’ (because south of the Lötschberg Tunnel isn’t the Berner Oberland) – valid on the old slow Lötschberg ‘mountain route’ from Spiez to Brig.

Since the opening of the Lötschberg Base Tunnel (LBT) fast inter-city trains only run via the LBT as it is much quicker. The LBT route comes out near Visp, not near Brig, so the fastest way to Zermatt from the north is now Bern – Spiez – Visp – Zermatt. You can still travel the slow way Bern – Spiez – Frutigen – Kandersteg – Brig – Visp.

So, your BO Pass will get you to Spiez on the LBT route or Brig on the old route, then you either have to buy a ticket:

Spiez – Zermatt via LBT-Visp;

or

Brig – Visp – Zermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2019 at 4:45:14 #913061

Hi Maria,

Thank you very much for your reply and the links you have given me.

very much appreciated.

Marina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2019 at 4:54:35 #913062

Hi 1960man,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I will now have a look to see how the Interlaken train connects at Spiez with the one from Bern.

It is several years since we first went to Zermatt and it was then from the other direction as we were staying in Lucerne.

It is quite a trip from Interlaken but we would like to do it more for nostalgic reasons really as we did love Zermatt when we stayed there.

Marina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2019 at 23:00:05 #913063

Curious, Luzern is further from Zermatt than is Interlaken. Travelling from Luzern and Interlaken to Zermatt you would travel from the same direction, not the ‘other’ direction – did you mean Lausanne?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2019 at 14:13:47 #913064

Hi 1960Man,

I’m sorry I think I must have been muddled there.

Your original post has been very helpful.

I have been studying the links and found them very useful.We studied the route and times carefully and have decided that travelling the Lotscberger way will take up too much time as we had hoped to fit in a trip up Mt Titlis and a brief visit to Sunegga to see how much had changed since our last visit which was well before any of the alterations began.We are bringing our married daughter on her first trip to beautiful Switzerland and are aiming to take her to some of the places we have visited and loved since the 1980’s.

Sadly it seems that Zermatt will not be on the list,at least this year!

Marina

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Zermatt via Visp or Brig?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.