Interlaken Trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2011 at 7:17:08 #804269

Hi
    I am planning to come to Interlaken from Luxembourg on June 01 2011 and returning to Luxembourg on June05. (I have 3 complete days in Interlaken on June 2,3,4. June 1 and 5 will be travelling day)
    I am planning to take railway ticket from Luxembourg to Basel and then a Swiss transfer pass. My wife and my parents would also be joining me.
    The advantage of taking Swiss transfer pass is that I can get the Bernese Oberland regional Pass at a little less rate as compared to their normal rate. I saw in their website. http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch//home-en
    My question is
    1) Is above planning a good one that I take Swiss Transfer pass and then a regional Bernese Oberland Pass to travel within Interlaken? I was confused about different passes like Swiss Pass, Swiss Half fare card. I dont think Swiss pass will help me as I will only be in Interlaken. So please let me know
    2) Now the Bernese Oberland regional pass offers discount for most of the travels except Jungfraujoch and Mürren – Schilthorn and some other places. But there is good discount on travel to these places. My question is that how much additional I have to pay if I have to travel to Jungfraujoch and Murren with having Bernese Oberland regional pass. Is it again costlier? Please let me know.
    I want suggestions/feedback so that I can make my travel plan comfortable and economical.

Thanks a lot for your help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 April 2011 at 14:09:29 #832735

Hi jogadesantosh and welcome to the forum!

As for your questions:
    1) Yes, the Swiss Transfer Ticket and Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland are a good combination.
    2) The prices can be found on the Jungfrau Railways website.

Enjoy your traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2011 at 19:53:43 #832736

Hello Arno
    Thank you very much for your reply. I was also exploring the Jungfrau railway pass. Would it be advantage for me to take the Jungfrau railway pass rather than Berner Oberland pass?
    My plan is to visit the following places
    1) Grindelwald

2) Thun and Brienz lake
    3) Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn
    4) Jungfraujoch moutain
    5) Schnige Platte,

Please let me know.
    Thank you very much

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 May 2011 at 13:31:13 #832737

Hi jogadesantosh,

Well, the Jungfrau Railways Pass covers a smaller area. Both the lakes you intend to visit and the Schilthorn are not included. You can best review the covered network and see if you’re sure you only travel within that area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2011 at 3:51:27 #832738

Hello
    Thank you so much for your mail.
    1) I was exploring also Swiss Card. With Swiss Card, I can travel from Basel to Interlaken and return and also I can get 50% discount on all Trains and Boat travel including visit to Jungfrau. Please let me know if this is a better idea. I am somewhat confused with so many options.
    2) Also in the internet I saw one option for Jungfrau VIP pass (142 Euros/person from http://www.swisspasses.com) which says 3 days unlimited travel on Jungfrau rail network which also includes one free trip to Jungfrau mountain. But I think the travel to Murren,Schilthorn is not included. And for the visit of Brienz/Thun lake I checked their website and it seems that they are giving special price to family members in month of June for 15 CHF/person. I think this might be also a better idea.

My main objective is to get the best economical fare.
    Sorry for asking you many questions.
    Thanks a lot for your help again.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 May 2011 at 14:47:29 #832739

Hi jogadesantosh,

It’s no problem to ask questions, that what this forum is for!

The Jungfrau VIP Pass is indeed another option, but I’m not familiar with it. It’s offered by some resellers, but it’s not a “standard” product. You can best ask the reseller if you have questions about that specific product. As for the most economical option: for a definitive answer, you’ll have to decide which exact trips you want to make and add up prices which you would pay with the different passes you consider, as explained in this FAQ.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2011 at 10:13:01 #832740

Hello Arno
    If I want to purchase a Swiss Card, can I purchase it directly at Basel station (when I come from Luxembourg) on the date of travel? Is it cheaper if I order the Swiss Card online?
    Please let me know

Thanks
    Santosh

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 May 2011 at 12:27:32 #832741

Hi Santosh. All purchase options and prices can be found on our Swiss Card page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2011 at 8:45:02 #832742

Hello Arno
    My journey is from Luxembourg to Basel and then to Interlaken.
    For the return journey to make it more exiting, is it possible for me to take a Golden pass train or chocolate train from Interlaken and then return to Luxembourg. Also how many hours does it take approximately?
    Can I travel in this train in the return journey with Swiss Card or do I have to still purchase the ticket for the same?

Thanks a lot for your help
    Santosh

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 May 2011 at 14:01:31 #832743

Hi Santosh,

Good idea to travel that way! However, the Swiss Card requires you to use the shortest/quickest route for your inbound or outbound trip. That means you cannot travel from Interlaken to Basel via the Golden Pass or Chocolate Train. If you want to do that, I would recommend to purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card instead.

For traveling times, please check the Swiss timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2011 at 17:51:54 #832744

Hello Andrea
    Thanks a lot. I had another question.
    If I purchase Swiss Half Care I hope I will get 50% discount for the following tickets

1) Travel from Basel to Interlaken
    2) Travel in Jungfrau region (rail, boat) like Jungfrau mountain, Murren, Gridenlwald, schynige platte etc.
    3) Travel back from Interlaken to Basel via Chocolate train.

Please let me know.
    Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 May 2011 at 10:30:37 #832745

Hi Santosh,

Yes, you’ll get those discounts. For a detailed overview however, I recommend you to check the map we link to from the Swiss Half Fare Card page. It’s shows exactly what’s covered.

• The thread ‘Interlaken Trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.