Interlaken trip in late March 2019 with a car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2018 at 14:49:12 #818903

Hello, I have a holiday to Switzerland planned from 23 March to 25 March. We have rented a car during our time here and are staying in Interlaken.

We would like to take the boat trip to and from Interlaken and Lake Brienz. Will the boat trips be open on these dates (as I saw on the website that the boat trips are closed until late March)?

We would also like to do a few hikes. Our proposed itinerary is:

Day 1:

• Boat ride to and from Interlaken and Lake Brienz
    • Drive to Bachalpsee – walk to the lake.
    • Drive to Eigergletscher – do the Eiger Trail to see the mountains.
    • Drive to Kleine Scheidegg – do the Jungfrau Eiger walk.
    • Explore Grindelwald.

Day 2:

• Explore Lauterbrunnen Valley – we would like to do some hikes so any suggestions would be great.
    • Drive to Blausee – see the lake.

Day 3:

• Explore Bern
    • Return home

I understand a lot of the hikes may be closed as they are only open during Summer. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2018 at 18:54:25 #898873

Hi KayDee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Travel by car isn’t very practical in Switzerland. It can be done but it needs to be combined with trains and cable cars due there being no roads up into the mountains. http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r

IE You can only drive as far as Grindelwald where you need to park and take a cable car to First (mountain) and then hike to get to Bachalpsee. A train from Grindelwald can take you to the Eigergletscher and to Kleine Scheidegg. The Eiger Trail is closed for the winter and won’t open until mid-June or so. Most hikes anywhere in this region will be closed except for a few open to snowshoeing or winter hiking. Winter doesn’t end in the mountains until June sometime.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to find travel times between towns and mountains you want to visit here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As for other suggestions on activities and hikes and how to do them/get there have a look at our Jungfrau region page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Let us know if you need further planning help and what to do in March in Switzerland but it is still ski season in the mountains – that is the main activity at that time. But taking trips into the mountains and sightseeing is still possible.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 November 2018 at 1:57:57 #898874

<<“We would like to take the boat trip to and from Interlaken and Lake Brienz. Will the boat trips be open on these dates (as I saw on the website that the boat trips are closed until late March)?

We would also like to do a few hikes. Our proposed itinerary is:”>>

http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

Probably is not running.

Check that link.

<<“Drive to Bachalpsee – walk to the lake.

Drive to Eigergletscher – do the Eiger Trail to see the mountains.

Drive to Kleine Scheidegg – do the Jungfrau Eiger walk.

Explore Grindelwald.”>>

The only location on that list that is accessible by car is Grindelwald.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2018 at 16:13:04 #898875

Thank you both for your prompt replies! I will check out what hikes are available and let you know if I have any other questions!

• The thread ‘Interlaken trip in late March 2019 with a car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.