Interlaken trip in late March 2019 with a car

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
KayDee
KayDee
2 posts
Nov 8, 2018 - 2:49 PM

Hello, I have a holiday to Switzerland planned from 23 March to 25 March. We have rented a car during our time here and are staying in Interlaken.

We would like to take the boat trip to and from Interlaken and Lake Brienz. Will the boat trips be open on these dates (as I saw on the website that the boat trips are closed until late March)?

We would also like to do a few hikes. Our proposed itinerary is:

Day 1:

• Boat ride to and from Interlaken and Lake Brienz
  • Drive to Bachalpsee - walk to the lake.
  • Drive to Eigergletscher - do the Eiger Trail to see the mountains.
  • Drive to Kleine Scheidegg - do the Jungfrau Eiger walk.
  • Explore Grindelwald.

Day 2:

• Explore Lauterbrunnen Valley - we would like to do some hikes so any suggestions would be great.
  • Drive to Blausee - see the lake.

Day 3:

• Explore Bern
  • Return home

I understand a lot of the hikes may be closed as they are only open during Summer. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Lucas
Lucas
9613 posts
expert &
Nov 8, 2018 - 6:54 PM in reply to KayDee

Hi KayDee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Travel by car isn't very practical in Switzerland. It can be done but it needs to be combined with trains and cable cars due there being no roads up into the mountains. www.myswissalps.com/ca r

IE You can only drive as far as Grindelwald where you need to park and take a cable car to First (mountain) and then hike to get to Bachalpsee. A train from Grindelwald can take you to the Eigergletscher and to Kleine Scheidegg. The Eiger Trail is closed for the winter and won't open until mid-June or so. Most hikes anywhere in this region will be closed except for a few open to snowshoeing or winter hiking. Winter doesn't end in the mountains until June sometime.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to find travel times between towns and mountains you want to visit here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As for other suggestions on activities and hikes and how to do them/get there have a look at our Jungfrau region page here: www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Let us know if you need further planning help and what to do in March in Switzerland but it is still ski season in the mountains - that is the main activity at that time. But taking trips into the mountains and sightseeing is still possible.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5164 posts
expert
Nov 9, 2018 - 1:57 AM in reply to KayDee

<<"We would like to take the boat trip to and from Interlaken and Lake Brienz. Will the boat trips be open on these dates (as I saw on the website that the boat trips are closed until late March)?

We would also like to do a few hikes. Our proposed itinerary is:">>

www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

Probably is not running.

Check that link.

<<"Drive to Bachalpsee - walk to the lake.

Drive to Eigergletscher - do the Eiger Trail to see the mountains.

Drive to Kleine Scheidegg - do the Jungfrau Eiger walk.

Explore Grindelwald.">>

The only location on that list that is accessible by car is Grindelwald.

Slowpoke

KayDee
KayDee
2 posts
Nov 12, 2018 - 4:13 PM

Thank you both for your prompt replies! I will check out what hikes are available and let you know if I have any other questions!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018