Interlaken Unspunnenfest 26 Aug - 3 Sep 2017

Interlaken Unspunnenfest 26 Aug - 3 Sep 2017

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 9, 2017 - 8:18 AM

This is a heads-up for anyone planning to be in Interlaken between 26 August and 3 September 2017.

There will be a traditional costume and alpine herdsmen’s festival on there, that only happens every 11-12 years, and very large crowds are expected, both in Interlaken, and on the trains to and from Interlaken. The festival is called "Unspunnenfest Interlaken".

The SBB is putting on some extra trains, and is advising festival-goers to get to Interlaken via Bern instead of via Luzern, as the trains via Bern have more capacity.

If anyone is hoping to travel on the Golden Pass route from Luzern to Interlaken Ost during those dates, particularly on Friday afternoons or on the weekends, it looks like it would be a good idea to make a reservation as soon as possible, and perhaps to travel first class. Long queues are expected at the ticket machines in Interlaken, so the SBB is advising people to buy their tickets in advance.

Festival-goers will get free use of the buses in Interlaken, a discounted fare to Schynige Platte, and discounted entry to Ballenberg Open Air Museum, so it would not surprise me if those attractions were pretty crowded during the festival, especially on weekends.

As for the festival itself, tickets are needed for most events. However, there are a few events and activities that are free.

One is the Grand Parade on Sunday 3 September from 10:00 to 12:00. It will proceed from Interlaken West railway station, down Bahnhofstrasse and Höheweg, and towards Interlaken Ost railway station, and will feature floats and groups wearing traditional costumes from all over Switzerland.

There will also be a precinct in the festival grounds in Höheweg called "Schweizerplatz", and events there are apparently free.

Here are some links with information about the festival:

Opening ceremony 26 August

www.unspunnenfest.ch/e n/programme/opening-ceremony-and-youth-day.html

Traditional Swiss wrestling event 27 August

www.unspunnenfest.ch/e n/programme/unspunnen-schwinget.html

Weekday program 28-31 August

www.unspunnenfest.ch/e n/programme/unspunnen-week.html

2nd weekend program 1-3 September

www.unspunnenfest.ch/e n/programme/costume-and-alpine-herdsmens-festival.html

Ticket information

www.unspunnenfest.ch/e n/karte-unspunnenfest/festival -information/festival-tickets-passes-individual-tickets/tickets-for-visitors.html

Map of the festival site on the Höhematte, a large grassy park on the Höheweg, the main road through Interlaken

files.pxlpartner.ch.s3 -eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/250008 883?CFID=f46fcc72-7484-44cb-b4f0-bb5796d18637&CFTOKEN=0

I'm not in a position to answer detailed questions about the festival, so I suggest anyone who needs more information should browse the Unspunnenfest website or contact Tourist Information in Interlaken:

www.unspunnenfest.ch/e n/home.html

www.interlaken.ch/en/e nterprise-offices-tourist-information/interlaken -tourismus-organization.html

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 9, 2017 - 8:21 AM by Removed user
Lucas
Lucas
8901 posts
expert &
Aug 9, 2017 - 2:18 PM in reply to Removed user

Thanks sir! Great information for all our members!

Lucas

Rijusree
Rijusree
4 posts
Aug 9, 2017 - 2:57 PM in reply to Removed user

Thanks,That is a most useful heads up as I would be in interlaken during that time.

Rijusree
Rijusree
4 posts
Aug 16, 2017 - 3:23 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi all,As suggested by you I did look up the Swiss timetable and found that it showed high occupancy for the day I am planning to travel from interlaken to zermatt on 2nd September. So how do I go about booking a reservation for that route and what would be the rates of reservation.I shall be buying a Swiss pass. Have downloaded the Swiss mobile app.

thanks

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 17, 2017 - 12:19 AM in reply to Rijusree

Hi Rijusree,

>> Hi all,As suggested by you I did look up the Swiss timetable and found that it showed high occupancy for the day I am planning to travel from interlaken to zermatt on 2nd September. So how do I go about booking a reservation for that route and what would be the rates of reservation.I shall be buying a Swiss pass. Have downloaded the Swiss mobile app.

For the most scenic route, put "From Interlaken Ost" "To Zermatt" "Via Kandersteg" into your timetable search. This route will enable you to see the lovely mountain scenery instead of going underneath it in the Lötschberg-Basistunnel, but will take about an hour longer.

Regardless of whether you decide to travel the default route through the tunnel, or the scenic route, the high occupancy is just for the sector between Spiez and Visp or Brig. Seat reservations cost CHF 5. You can make reservations on the following page:

www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/sprache.do?en

Reservations can also be made in the SBB App. Start with the timetable, select a connection, carry on as if buying a ticket, but when you select a ticket, select "Seat Reservations for Switzerland". You might have to expand the ticket options to see the reservation option.

Alpenrose

alexcherian
alexcherian
7 posts
Aug 17, 2017 - 3:19 AM

HI Alpenrose,

Thank you for sharing these vital informations. These are delicious events for my eyes and ears and we are thrilled to visit those days. A festival which gives you traditional arts in a single location and that too once in 12 yrs....

Thank you,

Alex

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 18, 2017 - 1:33 AM in reply to alexcherian

>> Thank you for sharing these vital informations. These are delicious events for my eyes and ears and we are thrilled to visit those days. A festival which gives you traditional arts in a single location and that too once in 12 yrs....

You're welcome, Alex. I hope you enjoy it. I wish I could be there too!

When I was in Switzerland last year, I managed to attend a cultural event, an "Alpabzug", when the cows are led down from the high alpine pastures before the winter snow sets in.

If you are interested, you can read about it here:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/alpabzug-seewis-im-praettigau-8-october-2016

These will be happening again between about mid-September and mid-October in various parts of Switzerland.

Alpenrose

Mageo
Mageo
36 posts
Aug 19, 2017 - 9:48 AM in reply to Removed user

Hello Alpenrose,

Thanks for all the info re. the Interlaken Festival. We plan to be there for the final weekend. We went to the final day of the last festival which was held in 2006, postponed for a year because of severe storms and floods. We hadn't heard of the festival until our host suggested we should attend the Grand Parade. It was a wonderful time of seeing Swiss culture from the different cantons, so are looking forward to seeing even more this time.

We also plan to attend the Désalpe de Charmey,

September 23, from 9:30 am, in the canton of Fribourg.

Mageo

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 20, 2017 - 4:26 AM in reply to Mageo

Hi Mageo,

Lucky you! Going to both the Unspunnenfest AND an Alpabzug/désalpe!

Hope you have a wonderful time at both and bring back lots of good memories.

Alpenrose

Shembekar
Shembekar
5 posts
Aug 21, 2017 - 9:39 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information. I would be in Swiss during 27th to 1st. I have already bought a Swiss travel pass for my entire trip. I will be in Lucerne on 28th to 30th Aug and In wengen from 31st to 1st September.

What care should I take during this festival. I am planning a day in Interlaken for a boat rides and exploring city.

• Shall I do the reservation for my journey from Lucerne to Wengen via Interlaken on 31st Aug?
  • Is any part of the festival that I must not miss and will be a good experience with a young kid? Where to attend?
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 22, 2017 - 2:00 AM in reply to Shembekar

Hi Shembekar, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> What care should I take during this festival. I am planning a day in Interlaken for a boat rides and exploring city.

Well, it will be more crowded than usual, especially between Friday afternoon and Sunday. Apart from the festival, Interlaken has little to offer the tourist, so if you are not wanting to see any activities at the festival, I would go somewhere else for the day.

>> Shall I do the reservation for my journey from Lucerne to Wengen via Interlaken on 31st Aug?

That's a Thursday, so the trains probably won't be as crowded as Fridays or the weekend. However, if it were me, I would travel first class that day from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen, and make a reservation for the sector Luzern-Interlaken Ost. (First class is not available beyond Lauterbrunnen, and reservations are not possible between Interlaken Ost and Wengen).

>> Is any part of the festival that I must not miss and will be a good experience with a young kid? Where to attend?

You won't be there for the Grand Parade on Sunday 3 September, which would probably be the most interesting free activity. In view of the short time you are in the area, if I were you, I would give the festival a miss and spend my time in Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald and taking a boat ride on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. Interlaken itself has little to interest the tourist when compared with those mountain villages.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 22, 2017 - 6:36 AM by Lucas
Shembekar
Shembekar
5 posts
Aug 22, 2017 - 6:45 AM in reply to Removed user

Thanks a lot for your reply Alpenrose 🙂

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018