Interlaken, Wengen or Grindelwald as a base town

• Abbii
    Participant
    5 posts
    3 June 2018 at 14:19:03 #816407

hi

We are planning our trip and thought of stopping in Interlaken for two nights – one day of just being there, exploring. My husband has found both Wengen and Grindelwald accommodations so we are thinking of maybe staying up there instead. I think it is the mountain view rooms!!!

Question from me is where in this area should we base ourselves? If we stay up high in the mountains should we commute down to Interlaken to sight see? Are there advantages to one place over the other? Are we missing out if we don’t stay in Interlaken??

Again all advice is appreciated and thank you for your site.

Abbii

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 19:37:00 #887183

Hi Abbii,

The mountain villages: Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, and Mürren are much nicer options to stay in than Interlaken (most people, including me think).

Most people who stay in Interlaken just end up commuting to the mountainous areas to sight-see.

So, if you stay in one of the villages there isn’t much need to go to Interlaken – except may a boat ride on Lake Thun. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 June 2018 at 20:46:52 #887184

Wengen is my pick. I’ll quote below from forum member Kim who has written the definitive guide on Wengen and the Jungfrau Region . . . . . .

Lauterbrunnen is a very small village down deep in the valley with imposing cliffs above. Therefore it doesn’t get as much daylight as the villages up the mountains do. There is quite a bit of car and bus traffic through the little village and limited selections of restaurants and food stores. During the high summer seasons (July and August) there is a “college student backpacking around Europe” vibe. There is not much there in the way of sightseeing/views, other than the glorious walk down the valley floor (which can also easily be done from Wengen or Mürren). The positives are that there is a fairly major train station there (although Wengen and Mürren are only 15 and 18 mins, respectively, up the mountainsides) and lodging is less expensive (there’s a reason).

Getting up into a car-free village gives one a much more “old Switzerland” feel. You can’t go wrong with either Mürren or Wengen. We prefer Wengen because we like the views better from there (jaw-dropping), it is slightly larger therefore has more amenities (food stores, restaurants, shopping), is easier to get in and out of so is better as a base, and we think it has more of the quintessential Swiss mountain village “vibe” than does Mürren.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 June 2018 at 23:21:01 #887185

Hi Abbii,

To get a taste of the mountains, you really should go to one of the higher villages. My personal favourite is Grindelwald because of the view from the holiday apartment we stay at, as well as the number of activities based there, but that is entirely personal. Others prefer Wengen or Mürren because they are car free and very picturesque. For me, Interlaken is not a destination, but somewhere to change trains or catch a ferry. The real attractions are further up the valley.

Alan

• The thread ‘Interlaken, Wengen or Grindelwald as a base town’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.