UN”s International Mountain Day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 21:44:43 #819152

Hi everyone

Did you know that Tuesday 11th December is the UN’s International Mountain Day? I quote from the source where I found this out.

The UN’s International Mountain Day is to remind us how important mountains are to our world. They supply food and clean energy, and sixty to eighty per cent of the world’s fresh water. They cover around twenty-two per cent of the earth’s land surface and are home to thirteen per cent of the world’s population. They look majestic, yet their fragile ecosystems are under threat from climate change, land degradation and over-exploitation.

Interesting but also sobering?

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 December 2018 at 6:38:36 #900207

Hi Maggie,

I didn’t know to be honest. Thanks for sharing that! Yes, they are important and fragile. Climate change and deforestation are certainly a threat to them and to humans too. One of the many reasons to enjoy the mountains but to travel eco-friendly at the same time.

• The thread ‘UN”s International Mountain Day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.