International train reservations with bikes

International train reservations with bikes

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
LorraineS
LorraineS
3 posts
Nov 3, 2017 - 7:29 PM

Hi, I'm really having difficulty trying to figure out how to reserve our train tickets from Zurich to Donaueschingen with bicycles. Firstly, is it best to reserve the tickets through Swiss Rail because the journey starts in Switzerland? Or is it just as possible to make the reservation through DB Bahn? I've figured out the train connections that I want and both connections indicate that taking bikes on the trains is possible (though limited availability). In our case, the bikes will be loaded with panniers (ie not in bike bags) and so we will 'self service' loading of our bicycles. When I proceed through the reservation process, it doesn't add on the cost for the international bike ticket. Neither is there a way of indicating that we are travelling with bicycles (this is on the Swiss Rail site). Am I missing something? Or is it that the bicycle tickets are only available at the station and its a case of first in, first served on the day of travel?

Please help - I don't want to go ahead and reserve our train tickets and find that we are unable to take our bicycles.

LorraineS

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2131 posts
top member
Nov 4, 2017 - 12:55 AM in reply to LorraineS

Hi Lorraine,

You can make the reservation on the Deutsche Bahn site, and when searching for connections, tick the option that says "Only show connections that allow carriage of bicycles (buy bicycle ticket if necessary)".

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ bin/query2.exe/en?rt=1&

It seems that it's only possible to reserve bicycle places in long distance trains, designated as "IC" or "EC". In regional and local trains, it's apparently a case of "first come, first served", and if there were no place for your bikes, you would need to wait for the next train. Deutsche Bahn recommends not choosing connections during commuter travel times and long weekends if you want to ensure room for your bike on your preferred train. The time of year you are travelling would also make a difference.

If you choose connections with only one transfer en route, and an IC train as the first connection (with reserved places for your bikes), that is likely to work out best I would think.

Alpenrose

LorraineS
LorraineS
3 posts
Nov 4, 2017 - 2:40 AM

Thanks Alpenrose666, that helps a lot.

regards

LorraineS

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018