Is Basel a good base for 4 days in August?

• cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    3 May 2019 at 3:37:41 #821395

I orginally planned to stay in Luzern for 2 nights and then move to Zuerich for another 2 nights. But I found Basel to be quite accessible to cities like Bern, Luzern, Schaffhausen, Zuerich, Interlaken Ost within 1.5hrs by train. After Basel i will take a 7.14am train to Bayreuth hbf on 5 Aug

All these trips will be day trips.

Is mt pilatus + luzern doable within a day, assuming I leave at around 7-8am from Basel?

I chose Basel because of the various museums and I‘m pretty sure I can‘t cover Basel within a day if I stay in Luzern/Zuerich

Back to my question: is Basel a good base for 4 nights? Or should I stay in Luzern / Zuerich?

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2019 at 6:38:25 #911351

Pilatus is certainly doable in a day from Basel but then so too is Basel doable in a day from Luzern.

I would much prefer 4 nights in Luzern to 4 nights in Basel I think. Also given the proximity of the locations I think 4 nights in one place is better than 2 nights on one place and two in another.

You may have completely different priorities.

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    3 May 2019 at 6:47:27 #911352

why is 4 nights in Luzern better for you?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2019 at 7:14:28 #911353

It is a beautiful city and is within easy reach of many Swiss attractions. I love the lake.

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    3 May 2019 at 14:21:06 #911354

or should i do 2 days luzern and 2 days basel? Question here now is whether I can do mt rigi + mt pilatus + luzern in a day from basel?

Trying to squeeze as much out of STP as possible

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2019 at 21:18:05 #911355

“or should i do 2 days luzern and 2 days basel?”

Only you can make that decision.

”Question here now is whether I can do mt rigi + mt pilatus + luzern in a day from basel?”

If you mean and return to Basel after that then that would be a long day.

If you want to maximise the value of the STP then you might to consider a day trip from a Luzern to Schilthorn via the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Interlaken. It is hard to imagine a visit to Switzerland which does not include the Jungfrau Region where Schilthorn is located.

You have a very limited time so you are going to need to be selective based on your particular priorities.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 May 2019 at 13:20:00 #911356

Hi cc123,

I’m not sure if you’ve seen our city pages yet, they might be helpful. You’ll find activity tips and hotel suggestions there:

For 4 nights I’d prefer Lucerne too. Unlike Basel, it’s near the Alps, and it’s only about an hour by train to the other cities if you want to go sightseeing there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 0:07:03 #911357

I disagree with the implication that Luzern is ‘the’ better place to stay than Basel.

Indeed, Basel is only 1 hour by fast train from Luzern anyway, so it hardly makes any difference to day trips.

Basel is a major transport hub so fast trains go very frequently to the rest of Switzerland

Basel is a fine city with many of its own attractions – steep narrow city centre street, riverside views along the Rhine and on the bridges, comprehensive tram network serving the whole city centre as well as suburbs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 0:09:02 #911358

There is really no need to ‘do’ both Rigi and Pilatus– choose one. You will have a rewarding day whichever one you choose. Both give good views across the Luzern region and the lake.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2019 at 1:30:39 #911359

<<“Basel is a fine city with many of its own attractions – steep narrow city centre street, riverside views along the Rhine and on the bridges, comprehensive tram network serving the whole city centre as well as suburbs “>>

A fine city, indeed. Luzern is on a beautiful lake, its old town is more interesting, and has more to see, and has nice surrounding mountains.

So, I’d choose Luzern. Hands down.

If art museums and a zoo entered the judgement factors, Basel would move up a lot on the preference list. Not that Luzern is free of very good museums.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2019 at 1:36:56 #911360

<<“There is really no need to ‘do’ both Rigi and Pilatus – choose one. You

will have a rewarding day whichever one you choose. Both give good views

across the Luzern region and the lake.”>>

All true. However, those mountains are very different from one another.

Rather than offering a firm judgment about which one to see, I’d look at these links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is Basel a good base for 4 days in August?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.