Is buying from Happy Rail a good option?

• Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    15 May 2017 at 23:43:50 #811833

Is buying from Happy Rail a possibly better option for the Swiss Travel Pass? It doesn’t seem to be as popular as the other recommended suppliers in this forum so I’m wondering if I’ve missed out on anything.

Happy Rail offers a slightly cheaper rate for the Swiss Travel pass , and even with the 1% charge for using Visa or MasterCard you’re still ahead (not with Amex though, its surcharge would then be 3.9%). The cancellation policy is 10% refund fee vs non-refundable for SBB webshop, and 15% for ACP Rail and Rail Europe. Happy Rail also offers e-tickets which they say they email within one day of ordering, as opposed to Sbb sending the link closer to departure . Happy Rail also answers your questions promptly, while I still have yet to hear from Sbb regarding my query on their policies. If you prefer paper tickets to be shipped e HappyRail charges e €8.50 vs U$25 forSBB

Has anyone ever purchased from Happy Rail and gotten good results? I leave in July so I there’s still time to decide.

Are there strict rules for printing of the e-tickets ? sBB online order form has many restrictions regarding paper size, font size, dpi clarity and even recommends printing a test ticket before ordering. Since they are the official dealers of the Swiss Railway system, I’m wondering if this is a policy in general regardless of where you buy from.

Has anyone encountered problems with their print@home tickets?

Hoping for any advice on the above. thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 May 2017 at 6:07:19 #863371

Welcome to MySwissAlps Yvette17!

All retailers on our Swiss Travel Pass page are credible trustworthy companies, so no worries there. Happyrail only launched last year but is a subsidiary of a rail travel agency that has been in business for many years.

Every retailer is offering the same Swiss Travel Pass. When printing, it is important to produce a good quality print showing the entire pass in good resolution, so train staff will have no problems scanning the code on it. Use regular printing paper, no laminated shiny paper.

Strictly speaking, SBB is “just” one of many railway and other public transport companies in Switzerland. They are the biggest by far but they do not operate in the entire country. You can find their tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and their contact details here. Is that how you tried to get in touch or did you go through the domestic website at sbb.ch?

Anyway, both Happyrail.com and the above webshop are a good option, as well as the others listed on our page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 9:13:27 #863372

Hi Yvette

Bought a 3 day consecutive ticket for myself from Happy Rail and received the E-tickets within 2 days. I bought another one for my sister on Friday and realised after the payment went through that I didn’t enter the starting ( top of the page -starting date). I sent them an e-mail explaining what happend. I received the E ticket within a few hours with the correct date. Quick reponse and great service

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    16 May 2017 at 10:32:54 #863373

Thanks Arno! Have emailed SBB , although I will most likely get from HappyRail because of the price , quick response, and cancellation policy

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    16 May 2017 at 10:34:52 #863374

Thanks Hannelie, what a relief to find to find like-minded folk out there! Thanks for sharing. Happy travels !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 10:40:19 #863375

Hi Yvette,

Just came back from my Swiss trip. I had bought Swiss Half Fare card from Happy Rail. Got the pass delivered in my email within 1 day and used it for 4-5 days during my trip. No problems at all..

regards

Rakesh

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    16 May 2017 at 12:18:12 #863376

Thanks rakesh. Was actually thinking of switching to the half fare card after reading all the other threads. !

• The thread ‘Is buying from Happy Rail a good option?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.