Is Swiss Family Card same as Junior Travelcard?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2019 at 20:08:57 #819512

Hi,

We are planning to travel to Switzerland in July along with my two kids 9 and 14 years old. We will buy Swiss Travel Pass for my husband and me and Family card for kids. Is Family card same as Junior Travelcard? The reason I am asking, I will be travelling to Mt. Titlis also and for Titlis ticket it says: “100% discount for Tell Pass / Children aged 0 – 5 years / Children (6 – 15 years) with an SBB Junior/Grandchild travelcard and accompanied by a parent or grandparent”. Will my kids entry be free with Family card?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 January 2019 at 21:14:13 #902268

Hi Sukunag, welcome to MySwissAlps!

In your case you need the free Swiss Family Card. The Junior travelcard is something different and not free:

The Swiss Family Card offers free traveling for your children wherever the Swiss Travel Pass offers free or discounted traveling for the adults: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. This includes Mount Titlis too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2019 at 1:10:45 #902269

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your response. I do understand that Junior Travelcard is something different and the cost is CHF30/child. We will be staying in Lucerne. For Mt. Titlis I do know that train from Lucerne to Engelberg is covered by Swiss Travel Pass. Then the cable car from Engleberg to top of the Mountain is discounted 50% for Swiss Travel pass holder. What I wanted to know whether kids will be free with Family card to go to the top of the Mountain in cable car OR do we have to pay for them? As it is free for kids having Junior Travelcard and that’s why I wanted to know whether free Family card benefits are same as Junior Travelcard or not. Should I be better off buy Junior Travelcard for both of my kids to go to Titlis? I think that way I might save CHF32. What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 January 2019 at 6:02:44 #902270

Hi Sukunag,

Cable car websites sometimes are not very clear or complete when describing the discounts they offer. But my previous answer applies: it is free with the Swiss Family Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2019 at 14:22:51 #902271

Thanks Arno. I have also contacted Titlis customer service regarding this and they have also responded that kids (6-15) are free with Swiss Family Card (below is their response)

With the Swiss Travel Pass you get 50 % discount on the return ticket. Instead of CHF 92.00 you pay CHF 46.00. Kids (6-15 years) with Swiss Family Card travel for free (return ticket).

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 January 2019 at 17:55:56 #902272

Thanks for letting us know Sukunag. It will indeed be no problem to use the Swiss Family Card there.

Enjoy the trip!

• The thread ‘Is Swiss Family Card same as Junior Travelcard?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.