About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Is Swiss Half Fare Card best for month Switzerland
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Is Swiss Half Fare Card best for month Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Cyclefiend
Cyclefiend
8 posts
Jan 22, 2023 - 6:21 PM

Is the Half Fare Card (HFC) best for our situation? Are we missing anything?

We will be spending the entire month of June all over Switzerland (Appenzell, Luzern, Lugano, St. Moritz, Zermatt, Saas-Fee, Martigny, Lausanne, Murren, Zurich) and we will be using mass transit every day (train, bus, funicular, gondola, boat). We don't mind buying tickets every day, as it appears that the SBB phone app makes that process easy.

Our initial calculations suggest that the HFC will offer the most economical ticketing resource. We considered the 15 Day Swiss Travel Pass, regular or flex (STP, STPF), but we would probably end up with an HFC anyway. We are considering the panorama train trifecta,e.g., Gottard, Bernina, Glacier (OK, quadfecta if we decide to add the Golden Pass). We will also be taking various mountain transport, e.g., Gornergrat, Jungfraujoch, etc. Are any of the regional passes worth considering, even if we have to purchase one of the over-arching passes (STP, STPF, HFC) as well?

We understand that the STP/STPF gets you into various sights, where the HFC does not? Is that a consideration we should factor in, or are there other resources for reduced cost entry to places of interest?

Arno
Arno
15810 posts
expert &
Jan 22, 2023 - 7:54 PM

Hi Cyclefriend,

If you will travel that much, the Swiss Travel Pass is very often the best option: easier and cheaper (cost per travel day of CHF 28.60). I'm surprised that your calculations show that the Swiss Half Fare Card would be cheaper. Are you sure you got the full prices from the timetable? If you take the reduced price, which is shown by default, and take 50% of that, the outcome will be wrong. Please see:

Please also see "Alternatives if you stay longer than 15 days" on www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details.

I would only consider a regional pass in combination with the Swiss Half Fare Card. You'd have to do the math to be 100% sure.

As for sights not included with the Swiss Half Fare Card: museums are not included, while most of them are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Other sights like mountain tops are "covered" by both, but the Swiss Travel Pass includes some for free, while with the Swiss Half Fare Card it's always 50% off:

Last modified on Jan 22, 2023 - 7:57 PM by Arno
Cyclefiend
Cyclefiend
8 posts
Jan 23, 2023 - 6:26 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Let me check my math. I tried to remain aware that the SBB pricing assumed half fare, but I may have missed it a time or two. I will respond back to this string with my findings.

Cheers,

Cyclefiend

Cyclefiend
Cyclefiend
8 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 5:33 PM in reply to Cyclefiend

Hi Arno,

You are correct, we checked our math and, for our itinerary, the Swiss Travel Pass is a better deal, even if we each have to buy two 15 day passes. This is especially true for travel in 2nd Class. For travel in 1st Class the Half Fare Card wins, but only by 2.5%. If we also consider the convenience of avoiding most ticket purchases and included access to sights (museums, etc) then the STP is clearly the way to go.

Thanks for pointing this out to us.

Andy & Laura

Yolanda
Yolanda
45 posts
active member &
Jan 25, 2023 - 5:26 PM

Hello Andy and Laura,

Here is a link for all information in regard to the Swiss Travel Pass and the direct page to pricing.

Kind regards,
Yolanda

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2023