Use Swiss Half Fare Card with Saver Day Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2018 at 12:35:53 #818860

Hi

I just read that there’s a new promotion of CHF29 saver day pass when using Half Fare Travel Card. But someone warn me that the normal 1 month Half fare card for visitor is not eligible. Only the Half Fare Travel card can buy it at that price.

Is it not the same half fare card? I know that the expire date is different but can anyone confirm if a 1 month HFC can be use for this promotion or not.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2018 at 16:24:47 #898654

Hi MommiP and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes there is no problem using the “tourist” Swiss Half Fare Card to buy the Saver Day Pass at 29chf **or other amount**. No issues from members have been reported about using it.

**Do note this isn’t a new promotion. The Saver Day Pass can be bought for as low as 29chf with a half fare card but that price fluctuates – it depends on how far in advance you buy it.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2018 at 23:42:10 #898655

We were in Swiss for 23 days during Sept and get the saver day pass with the Half Fare Card (for tourist) for our travel. If you don’t want to print the pass in hard copy format. Make sure the related QR code is clearly stored in your phone for the train inspector to scan the code to verify your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2018 at 1:10:05 #898656

Than you so much for both of your reply. I believe that it should be able to work just fine too.

However, just to let you know that an agency in Thailand has been reported a case that the officer refuse to sell the saver day pass over the counter to a tourist half fare card claiming the promotion is only for half fare travel card that cost higher price CHF185. Shevsaid she contact SBB and receive the same answer. I’m not sure if it is a real case. But is there any formal link of SBB that I could get answer? The brochure only mentioned HALF FARE TRAVEL CARD too. Just for a peace of mind.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2018 at 5:58:47 #898657

The saver day pass is opened to both Swiss and tourist. With a Swiss Half Fare Card (for tourist), you can buy the pass at a much lower price. I took two daily trips with the pass in my Sept trip and the train insp

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2018 at 6:05:38 #898658

(Continue from my last post)

and the train inspector did check and scan my half price card and the pass. It works ok. I would suggest you to buy the pass on line.

fyi: attached below pls find my email communication with SBB

”n 27 Aug 2018, at 10:12 PM, “ticketshop” <ticketshop> wrote:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your query.

Tickets marked with “½” are valid for:

– Half-Fare Card holders (valid for 1 year)

– Swiss Half-Fare Card holders (valid for 1 month)

– Children from 6 – 15,99 years old

– Unaccompanied children under 6 years of age

In case you have ordered a half-price ticket in the SBB Ticket Shop but do not have any of these reduction cards and are over 16 years of age, you may purchase an additional half-price ticket online. Please present both tickets for inspection in the train.

Information on the “Half-Fare” and “Day-Ticket” offer is available on http://www.sbb.ch/en/half-fare.

Information on the “Swiss Half-Fare Card” is available on http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/internatio nal-guests/swiss-halffare-card.html.

Kind regards

Christine Mark”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2018 at 8:43:17 #898659

Hi MommiP,

I haven’t heard of other issues, but it is possible that one employee could have said no thinking it was correct to do so.

For peace of mind you should contact SBB directly and assuming they inform you it is ok, keep the email to show any ticket inspector to be on the safe side.

There is a contact form for SBB on their website: http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2018 at 15:13:38 #898660

We have 2 children under 16 and planning to buy 2 8 day STPs that I will include 2 free family passes. However, if I get Swiss Half Fare Passes of $119/each and get 8 saver day passes $29/each for 2 adults (children would get saver day pass for free with Swiss family cards) that comes out cheaper than 2 STPs, am I understand this correctly? I know that saver day pass not cover museums but it still cover the Bernina express or other scenic trains too right? Also with Half Fare Cards I get 50% off in Jungfrau region that is better than 25% off with STP. Please help confirming my understanding of how these passes work. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2018 at 17:36:18 #898661

Hi Shopper,

You can’t guarantee you’ll get the 29chf purchase price – they sell out and prices fluctuate – just something to keep in mind. http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

Our page here will help do the math on comparing passes: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 November 2018 at 12:43:14 #898662

Hi MommiP,

The Saver Day Pass is only available online, not via the counter. So the case you heard of must have been about another product or someone was mixing up product names, which is understandable as there are many tickets and passes in Switzerland. It must be purchased online, (well) in advance and it is not refundable, so it’s only a good option for trips that are not weather dependent and that will be made for sure.

Mikey650us
    Participant
    1 post
    5 November 2018 at 7:53:43 #898663

Does the Swiss half fare card ever go on sale.

thank you,

mikey

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 November 2018 at 12:25:37 #898664

Hi Mikey, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Not often, but sometimes there are more generic discounts that also apply to the Swiss Half Fare Card. In case there are any offers you can find them here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/promot ions.

• The thread ‘Use Swiss Half Fare Card with Saver Day Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.