Parking Grindelwald and tickets for Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 18:32:04 #811507

My son and I are staying in Wilderswil for two nights only. We have hired a car and will be driving down to Wilderswil from Trogen . It has been suggested that we drive to Grindelwald and catch the train to Jungfraujoch . I know that the train price from Grindelwald is 190 chf and 200 ch from Wikderswil. I looked on a website which shows trips complete with guide from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch for the same price. I tried to book from Interlaken but July and August do not appear only when coming from Zurich. Is it cheaper / better to book the train tickets now or wait until we drive to the station on the 5 th July, 2017 ? Is it easy to park at Grindelwald Station? I am partially disabled. Thank you in anticipation.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 7:44:25 #861994

Hi Madge37,

Tickets won’t be any cheaper online or at the train station. A good idea is to wait until the day before to be sure the weather is good and then buy a ticket. It can get busy in July but a day ahead should be fine.

Parking in Grindelwald is pretty decent. Here is information and a map of two close parking areas to Grindelwald train station. If you got to SBB here you can find more info on Grindelwald train station, with parking info and mobility info/assistance. I don’t think you will have a big issue with parking.

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 April 2017 at 11:16:52 #861995

There’s a larger parking place at Grindelwald Grund than Grindelwald, so that’s an alternative if you don’t find a spot, which is a possibility in high season.

Personally I’d rather park in Interlaken Ost or Wilderswil as the round trip via Grindelwald and Wengen is easier from there. Our Jungfraujoch page explains all about the train route and also about parking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 13:28:24 #861996

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post with very good advice re: buying the train tickets now or when we get to Switzerland and which station we should use. We have decided to take Arno’s advice and leave from Wilderswil station for the Jungfraujoch. The reason’s being ,our hotel is only a short distance from the train station there . We are also grateful for Lucas’s advice and the attachment he sent showing that the actual train journey to the Jungfraujoch from Wilderswil is better because we could go up one way and return the other so getting the best views. He suggested that we wait before buying the tickets until we arrive in Wilderswil from Trogen so we can check what the weather is like . Sound advice , thank you. I can’t wait to show my son all the beautiful towns I worked in when I was living here as a teenager. ( so long ago) The English pound was worth 12 Swiss Francs then.

Sent from my iPad

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 7:57:47 #861997

>> I am partially disabled.

>> We have decided to take Arno’s advice and leave from Wilderswil station for the Jungfraujoch. The reason’s being ,our hotel is only a short distance from the train station there

Just thought I would mention that the station at Wilderswil does not have raised platforms, which might be relevant if you have some mobility limitations (photo attached).

As you are staying in Wilderswil, I thought it might also interest you to know that Wilderswil has a lovely little area of pretty traditional houses, a small square with a park, and a covered wooden bridge over the Lütschine River, dating from 1738. It is just a few minutes’ walk from the station.

To get there, you cross the tracks at the station crossing, go down Bahnhofstrasse, continue in the same direction along Allmendstrasse to the bridge and Lütschine river.

If you are interested, there is a map and some photos attached to my post on the following page – scroll right down to the bottom to find it:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/switzerland-13-days-trip-with-2-kids

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 15:57:24 #861998

Thank you very much for the attachments and the most welcome information about the area. I find it all very interesting and useful especially about the train platform. My son has said he will push me up onto the train as he did when we went to Iceland last year and we were picked up by a people carrier. We only go away for four days at a time because of the high cost but as I have very bad arthritis I find I can’t go away for long. Thank you all again. I really appreciate it.

• The thread ‘Parking Grindelwald and tickets for Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.