Is it easy to go up the Jungfrau from Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 11:00:32 #817064

We only have two days in Wengen and have booked it before we realised it was car free and were wondering is it easy to get from there to wherever you have to go to get up the Jungfrau. We will be there in April 2019 Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    4 July 2018 at 12:52:03 #890161

Easy? Yes. You sit down most of the way. (Trains, etc)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 15:06:47 #890162

Hi Julierachie and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You ca read about the route to Jungfraujoch here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/get tingthere – a car wouldn’t help you anyway. 🙂

To find train schedules,use the Swiss railways timetable here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

As your car would be parked in Lauterbrunnen you may want to consider a rail pass, like the Swiss Half Fare Card to save some money (depending on your trip plans on both days). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 July 2018 at 16:36:43 #890163

You catch the train in Wengen and change at Kleine Scheidegg.

You have picked an excellent location for that trip.

You should be aware that some but not all of the tourist facilities close for Spring Break early in April and do not re-open until early June. April is the end of the skiing season and well before the hiking season, which begins in mid -June.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Also, although the weather is unpredictable this far in advance, April weather may be cloudy….and the Jungfrau visits is not much fun if you cannot see through the clouds. You would be wise to have contingency plans or plan a longer stay to increase your chances of having good weather on one of them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 6:39:22 #890164

We were in Wengen yesterday, ending our trip to Jungfrau. I would highly recommend anyone going to Jungfrau stay there. Beautiful location – mountain vista are stunning. Train station is small and many hotels were picking up their guest. Had cocktails and dinner at the restaurant directly behind the train station. Good music, fondue, bar-b-q, wine and extremely friendly staff. We will definitely stay there if we return to this region.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2018 at 6:59:11 #890165

Hi Bblalock-

<<“Train station is small and many hotels were picking up their guest. Had

cocktails and dinner at the restaurant directly behind the train

station. Good music, fondue, bar-b-q, wine and extremely friendly staff.

We will definitely stay there if we return to this region.”>>

Hotels almost all pickup their guests in Wengen, because it is not easy to haul luggage around a car-free town.

If the restaurant you mention is the Restaurant Eiger, at the lowest floor of the apartment building, it has a good reputation and I have enjoyed a couple of meals there in recent years.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 14:19:59 #890166

That’s it! Thanks Slowpoke!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 17:04:56 #890167

HI everyone – Just piggy-backing off of this thread. We are staying in Wengen for two days in late July as part of our honeymoon, and are sorting out what activities to do up on the Jungfrau. Does anyone have any recommendations, and ideas of price for each activity? I was looking at the Observation Deck and the Ice Palace.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 20:17:54 #890168

We just spent 9 nights staying at an apartment 900metres from town centre Wengen. It was a bit of a hike pulling our luggage up to the apartment. But the views are breathtaking. Swimming at the most scenic public pool with the mountain views after a long day out is a highlight.

We travelled to Jungfraujoch Top of Europe From Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg. Two adults with Half Fare Card 200CHF. The only additional costs were for the snow activities with our children, buying chocolates at Lindt and lunch at the restaurant . In hindsight, we should have waited till we travelled back to Kleine Scheidegg for lunch as it would have been cheaper and more enjoyable. Suffered a bit of altitude sickness after a couple hours n the snow activities.

It was easy enough to visit Interlaken, Schilthorn for breakfast, Lucerne and Bern via Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken OST. There is a cable car called the Royal Ride from Wengen to Männlichen where you can pay 5CHF to stand on the balcony on top of the carriage. We actually went up twice. First time, one way (23CHF for two adults with Half Fare Card) and we walked the Panoramic Walk to Kleine Scheidegg and took train back to Wengen. Second time, so our boys could try the summer gemel to Holenstein rather than going to Grindelwald First.

Floating down the River Aare in Bern was Unforgettable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 0:22:53 #890169

Hi akaletsky, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> We are staying in Wengen for two days in late July as part of our honeymoon, and are sorting out what activities to do up on the Jungfrau. Does anyone have any recommendations, and ideas of price for each activity? I was looking at the Observation Deck and the Ice Palace.

All activities except for the Snow Fun Park are free. Information about the Snow Fun Park is here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/snow-fun-park/

There is additional information about activities on the Jungfraujoch here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

Alpenrose

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    6 July 2018 at 5:05:06 #890170

Neshsemani

>> We just spent 9 nights staying at an apartment 900metres from town

centre Wengen. It was a bit of a hike pulling our luggage up to the

apartment. But the views are breathtaking. Swimming at the most scenic

public pool with the mountain views after a long day out is a highlight.

Name of this apartment please

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 1:34:02 #890171

Alpenrose thank you this is perfect! The exact info we were looking for and I didn’t realize the snow areas would be up and running in July!! Even more excited now for our trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 1:34:41 #890172

I just looked up the public pool and… wow!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 8:20:53 #890173

>> I didn’t realize the snow areas would be up and running in July!!

There are indeed only a few areas that have permanent snow, with skiing and/or snow activities in the summer.

The Jungfraujoch is one of them. Two other areas I am aware of are Mittelallalin above Saas-Fee, and Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise above Zermatt.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 10:06:59 #890174

Thank you so much for your help Lucas 😄

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 10:10:06 #890175

Thanks slowpoke for your reply, it’s great to hear that we have chosen a nice place to stay. Fingers crossed that the weather is kind to us in April.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 10:22:23 #890176

Thanks Bblalock for recommending the restaurant, we will definitely go there for a meal 😄 and thanks Slowpoke for the name of it. I think that’s our big concern about hauling luggage around as we have booked an air bnb so therefore nobody to pick us up. Hopefully it’s not too difficult.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 July 2018 at 12:47:40 #890177

Hi Julierachie –

It’s unlikely at that altitude, but at least possible in early April that there will still be some snow around.in Wengen. The much higher trails are blocked by snow until mid-June.

Yiu can check by webcams –

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/wengen-2658020/

I hope that the restaurant Eiger is not closed when you are there. You might check their website. I recall that they do close on , I think, Mondays, during high season; not sure about April.

Wengen is built on narrow plateaa and a good deal of hillside. Some parts can be a bit of a climb or descent from the train station.

If you can read a topographic map, you will see that….and probably can find your lodgings, on this map:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&zoom=10&E=263713 0.37&N=1161719.23

Unfortunately,I have not yet figured out how to get it to show street names.

This one does show street names, but not altitude:

map.search.ch/?pos=637120,161678&z=51 2&poi=default

Do you have an address for your lodgings?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is it easy to go up the Jungfrau from Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.