Is Jungfraujoch easily accessible from Murren?

• Marelize1980
    Participant
    6 posts
    29 October 2017 at 12:19:05 #813576

Hi everyone

I am traveling with my family in June 2018 and we will be staying in either Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Gimmelwald for 3 nights. We will be renting a car and driving through Switserland. We want to visit the Jungfraujoch, and would like to know where is the best village to access the Jungfraujoch from while we stay in this area. What is the easiest, taking into consideration we will have to take a train there. We like the small villages. How long in advance must I book the train tickets?

We have three nights in this region. On one of the days we want to drive a few passes, any advice? We were thinking a circle route that includes St Gotthard Pass, Furka Pass and maybe a third pass. Is this possible, and what passes can be done in one day?

Thanks so much!

Marelize

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 October 2017 at 13:22:37 #871347

Welcome to MySwissAlps Marelize!

Jungfraujoch is easily accessible from all towns you mentioned, but the easiest option (just one train change) is Lauterbrunnen. Lauterbrunnen is accessible by car. Mürren and Gimmelwald are not and therefor very idyllic places.

An ideal route would be Meiringen – Susten Pass – Andermatt – Furka Pass – Grimsel Pass – Meiringen. The Gotthard is a bit far for a day trip. All passes should be open in June. The later in June you’re there the better it is. Be sure to read this section of our site: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r.

Marelize1980
    Participant
    6 posts
    29 October 2017 at 13:53:41 #871348

Thanks a million Arno, your reply is super helpful!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 October 2017 at 19:08:34 #871349

Hi Marelize1980-

You might consider Wengen as well as the other options mentioned:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim.

Closer for the Jungfrau, and only a short train ride to Lauterbrunnen.

This map may help you visualize the relationship between those locations.. Zoom in to see the rail lines. Under Points of Interest/Traffic in the menu, you can turn on layers to show the stations of various transport services.

map.search.ch/?pos=648992,162144&z=8

Slowpoke

Marelize1980
    Participant
    6 posts
    30 October 2017 at 6:07:13 #871350

Thank you so much Slowpoke, Kim’s document looks amazing and I will read through it before I post any further questions on the region. I have some questions about travelling from this region down to Chamonix in France, via the Great St Bernard Pass (is this possible, or a bad idea?) but I will post this in a separate thread.

All the best,

Marelize

• The thread ‘Is Jungfraujoch easily accessible from Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.