Are local trains included in Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 3:58:19 #819438

Hi,

I was searching fro some trains within Intercity like Lugano to Lugano Paradise/Lugano FLP. When I try to make a reservation, it doesn’t provide an option for STP in discount cards drop down . Does this mean that route or train is not covered under STP ?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2019 at 4:34:59 #901902

You don’t need reservations for local trains or most trains in Switzerland for that matter. Just use your Swiss Travel pass to hop on and go – you don’t need to buy tickets. Lugano FLP is just across the street from the main Lugano Station. http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

You won’t find an STP option in the the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) for any trains because tickets are not necessary with the pass (unless you are on a route which is discounted as opposed to free). The timetable is primarily designed for domestic use so doesn’t show tourist passes.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    12 January 2019 at 4:44:21 #901903

There are many local train rides in Switzerland that are well worth considering. Such lines are rarely mentioned in these pages so one must wonder if they are overlooked in favour of the famous trains that are often mentioned.

I last rode the local train from Lugano in 1974 and remember it as a very pleasant little trip.

Enjoy your travels!

• The thread ‘Are local trains included in Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.