Are local trains included in Swiss Travel Pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
juknawanders
juknawanders
16 posts
Jan 11, 2019 - 3:58 AM

Hi,

I was searching fro some trains within Intercity like Lugano to Lugano Paradise/Lugano FLP. When I try to make a reservation, it doesn't provide an option for STP in discount cards drop down . Does this mean that route or train is not covered under STP ?

Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
4291 posts
expert
Jan 11, 2019 - 4:34 AM in reply to juknawanders

You don't need reservations for local trains or most trains in Switzerland for that matter. Just use your Swiss Travel pass to hop on and go - you don't need to buy tickets. Lugano FLP is just across the street from the main Lugano Station. www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

You won't find an STP option in the the SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) for any trains because tickets are not necessary with the pass (unless you are on a route which is discounted as opposed to free). The timetable is primarily designed for domestic use so doesn't show tourist passes.

Gunzel
Gunzel
179 posts
Jan 12, 2019 - 4:44 AM

There are many local train rides in Switzerland that are well worth considering. Such lines are rarely mentioned in these pages so one must wonder if they are overlooked in favour of the famous trains that are often mentioned.

I last rode the local train from Lugano in 1974 and remember it as a very pleasant little trip.

Enjoy your travels!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019