Bernina Express 1st class with 2nd class rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 21:44:02 #812715

I have a 2nd class flex pass. I wish to travel on the Bernina Express in first class. Therefore, I need to pay BOTH the reservation fee and the upgrade difference.

Can I make my reservation now to guarantee my seat on my preferred date and pay the upgrade difference at an SBB office up0n my arrival in Switzerland?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 6:09:55 #867282

Hi Julie49,

Yes, you can make a 1st class reservation now (as soon as you are sure of your travel date) and then upgrade to 1st class anytime before boarding the train – upgrades can’t sell out, only the seats.

You can do this on the Swiss railways mobile app (see instructions here) if you download it or at any Swiss railways station.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 6:32:48 #867283

Hi Lucas,

You can also purchase an upgrade here https://www.sbb.ch/tic ketshop/b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=7725 – just saying. 😇

Need to specify “Half-fare travelcard” in the “Reduction” field on the “Passengers” page in order to get the correct price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 7:14:45 #867284

Apprentice no more indeed!

🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 7:24:01 #867285

Good teachers around here! 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 9:58:51 #867286

Thanks Lucas and Rockoyster,

I purchased my tickets and printed them on the BEX (RHB) website so I would have the seats I wanted in September (SBB doesn’t let me buy that far in advance).

I’ll pay for my upgrade when I get to Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 19:20:22 #867287

We are purchasing the 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass for 4 consecutive days. We are starting out on the Bernina Express in Tirano to Chur. Is there a way to upgrade just this section to 1st Class? How much will it cost for the upgrade? I went to the link above and it did not list the STP as an option for a discount. Does that mean our upgrade will be $48 per ticket? Can I prepay and order now? Thanks in advance for any help. Trying to purchase our STP and make the Bernina reservations today.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 July 2017 at 23:26:27 #867288

Hello madebysade and Welcome to MySwissAlps

With a Swiss Travel Pass you just need to buy a reservation on the Bernina Express. If you want to travel in first class with a second class pass you can read all about Class upgrades here http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrade.html

You need to get a “Class upgrade for a specific route”. You’ll see the link to buy a “Route-specific class upgrade”. You need to specify half-fare card in the reductions field to get the correct ticket price. There is no option to select STP but you will end up paying half the difference between 1st and 2nd class fares.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express 1st class with 2nd class rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.