Is parking in Swiss residential areas allowed?

• Travel2Live
    Participant
    25 posts
    10 March 2023 at 13:11:28 #829285

Is it legal to park in paved slots like the ones shown in attached pics? I see lots of them in the suburbia of most cities and towns in most cantons, they are next to private homes but don’t have a “no parking” sign.

I assume they are public land. How can I know if they are reserved places?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    10 March 2023 at 19:56:30 #951977

Hi Travel2Live,

In my opinion, these are designated parking spots for residents as I can see that there are letter boxes located next to them. Private parking are usually labelled as Privat.

You can find general rules about parking here: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/parking

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    11 March 2023 at 7:31:37 #951978

Those are most likely private. In Switzerland it is typically not legal to park in places which are not explicitly marked as parking. Eg in Zürich they are blue (with Parkscheibe) or white (payed on the machine). Expect public parking costs between 6chf (rural) and 45chf (city) per 24h in general.

An other good reason to explore Switzerland by train.

• The thread ‘Is parking in Swiss residential areas allowed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.