Is St Gallen good entry point from Passau by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 23:17:27 #819488

My husband & I disembark in Pasau Germany from a River Cruise June 5 and fly home from Zurich 14 days later. Is St Gallen a good place to begin our visit to Switzerland? It looks like 7 hours via train from Pasau. We are interested in Luzern, Lausanne, and Interlaken as bases with day trips to Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen Valley, Bern, Lavaux, Gstaad, Montreux and Brienz. We are in our mid 60’s and interested in train travel (especially the Golden Pass), exploring villages, and easy hikes. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 1:26:22 #902160

Yes, St Gallen is ideal.

Best journey if you can time it right only needs two trains:

Passau – München Hbf

München Hbf – St Gallen on the Eurocity

St Gallen would a be great place to start your Swiss holiday, with a visit to the Appenzell area

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2019 at 4:04:28 #902161

Hello LB65USA and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Further to what 1960man said the Voralpen Express is pleasant train ride from St Gallen to Luzern.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

If you haven’t yet sorted out what sort of pass you will use you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    15 January 2019 at 19:03:46 #902162

Sr Gallen would be an ideal place to commence an itinerary. My partner and I did just that in 2015. And it 2013, we chose Winterthur.

Consider spending some time in the lovely “Appenzell” area (around St Gallen) that’s rarely mentioned on these pages.

There are some fantastic trips using local public transport. The OSTWIND day pass is excellent value and there are other local ticket options.

• The thread ‘Is St Gallen good entry point from Passau by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.