Is Swiss Half Fare Card really a good deal?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 April 2018 at 21:03:14 #880891

Hello Rubmat,

If you read the forum rules you would understand that advertising is not permitted.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 4:30:41 #880892

Hello Chantal,

I checked the link provided, and it looks like the ecard can be purchased by 3 vendors – Rail Europe and ACP Rail both list the pass for $132US and Happy Rail lists for CHF 119, which is equivalent to ~ $123 USD (XE.com exchange rate today). Does it really make a difference which vendor is used?

If I’m reading the map correctly (http://www.acprail.com/images /stories/maps/Swiss-Map-2017-2.jpg), the half fare works for boat rides on Lake Geneva, Lake Thun, Lake Luzern and lifts at Rigi and Interlaken all the way up to Murren. It’s not clear to me if the pass is valid for Jungfraujoch and Gonergrat because the red lines are dotted and not solid. I don’t believe that Klein Matterhorn accepts this pass either.

Can you help clear this up?

Thank you, Phil

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 April 2018 at 4:59:23 #880893

Hello Phil,

You can buy with confidence from any retailer listed on this page. Pick the best price.

You will find the definitive map here. Read the legend at right specifically for the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Solid and dotted lines are discounted 50% including Jungfraujoch, Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 10:00:03 #880894

Hello kim11,

With a Half Fare Card to buy train ticket for each journey,

1. is there a customer service ticketing counter at train stations to buy tickets on actual day of travelling?
    2. or only purchase train tickets using ticketing machines? CHF notes acceptable with change refund? (if still hold sufficient CHF notes, we would not prefer to use credit card due to exchange rates and bank charges).

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

May

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2018 at 10:17:23 #880895

Hi May,

On staffed stations there is a ticketing counter. There are always ticketing machines too, or the option to buy online. Sure, the Swiss franc (CHF) is the only official currency so no problem paying with it. Credit cards and many debit cards work as well. There is always a cost involved as getting cash is subject to a fee as well if your home currency is not CHF.

I’m going to close this thread now. It was initially to discuss if the Swiss Half Fare Card was a good choice for Drsjw, but it has become a long off-topic discussion. Feel free to open a new thread if you have further questions!

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • The thread ‘Is Swiss Half Fare Card really a good deal?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.