Is there a better rail pass than Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 15:36:00 #816507

Hi, I am travelling from Lugano to Zermatt to Murren to Lucern to Zurich. I am travelling by train over a period of 8 days. Is the Swiss 8 days pass the best option?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 15:41:24 #887657

Hi Paul,

It depends on your daily travel plans.

To know which rail pass (if any) is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 15:45:09 #887658

Hi Lucas,

Thank you. I will look into it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 17:33:36 #887659

I’d agree with you that the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass probably makes the most sense. It is certainly the simplest/easiest option (even if it ends up being a few dollars/Francs more than another pass).

To be sure though as to what is the cheapest option, you’ll need to to do the math if you want to be sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 1:10:38 #887660

I was looking at my train from Lugano to Zermatt, I selected the S10, S20, R, RE, IC8, R (rail lines). How do I know my Swiss Travel Pass covers this route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 6:17:01 #887661

Those aren’t rail lines, but rather train types.

You can see which routes are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass using my link above and clicking the “where it’s valid” tab. You’ll see a PDF map there to open.

You can travel via Domodossola and Brig or via Göschenen/Andermatt and Brig – whichever train type you are on doesn’t matter (RE = regional train, IC = InterCity train etc).

• The thread ‘Is there a better rail pass than Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.