Is there only one Bernina Express / day from Chur?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 4:50:34 #815130

I am trying to find out the timetable for Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano. Is there only one train at 8:32 am ?. We are staying in Zurich so it will be difficult for us to catch the train at 8:32 am from Chur. TIA.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 5:40:58 #880897

Hi arajnish,

Yes, there is only the one departure most days from Chur at 08:32. It does require an early start to your day from Zurich!

Are you coming back to Zurich or Chur later that day? If so, you can take a regional train to Tirano (same route as the Bernina Express train) and then take the actual Bernina Express train back to Chur at 14:25.

By the way…what does TIA mean?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:27:14 #880898

TIA = Thankyou in Advance 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:29:48 #880899

Ah! I guessed that about the same time I hit reply. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 12:21:36 #880900

We can take Bernina only one way, so we have to stay in Chur the night before.

We are flying to Paris, taking TGV from Paris to Geneva, Geneva to Zermatt, Zermatt to Interlake, Interlaken to Lucerne by Gold pass line, Lucerne to Zurich, Zurich to Tirano. And then Venice, Florence and Rome. Flying back to Canada from Rome.

We have only one day in Zurich and wanted to see museums, city and a chocolate factory if there is any close by. Will that be passible in a day?

I also wanted to know that if we can store the luggage at Lucerne rail station just to see the city for few hours as we are not staying in Lucerne and is there any charge for storage? Thanks in Advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 14:56:41 #880901

There is the Lindt chocolate factory near Zurich:

You could combine that with a 1/2 day in Zurich and a museum perhaps..but might be a bit too tight.

Yes there is storage lockers in Lucerne. Prices here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html
    Scroll down to Equipment and mobility for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 20:25:10 #880902

We were planning to buy an 8-day Swiss travel pass. I was checking the SBB website for ticket prices from Zurich to Chur. It is only showing a Swiss half-fare travelcard discount option. Even after buying a pass for 8 consecutive days, we have to pay for these trains? I thought we will have to pay for fast trains and reservations? Should we buy the half-fare travelcard then?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:54:51 #880903

>> Yes there is storage lockers in Lucerne. Prices here … Scroll down to Equipment and mobility for details.

They have removed all the information about size and cost of lockers. I wonder why on earth they did that? How annoying!

This is the information I had saved:

Small – 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0 – CHF 6

Medium – 31.7 x 61.5 x 75.0 – CHF 7

Large – 44.7 x 61.5 x 88.0 – CHF 9

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:59:21 #880904

>> I was checking the SBB website for ticket prices from Zurich to Chur. It is only showing a Swiss half-fare travelcard discount option. Even after buying a pass for 8 consecutive days, we have to pay for these trains?

No, the trains from Zürich to Chur are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you don’t need to look up ticket prices, because you don’t need a ticket: your pass is your ticket.

You can download a map from the link below, showing what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

As explained in the legend on the map, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted. Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line. There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Dashed red lines on the map are railway tunnels, and are on routes that are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:03:37 #880905

Thank you for the details. The locker sizes are in inches or in cm? And the rate is per day or per hour?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:50:41 #880906

Oh, what the hell! That makes NO sense.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:51:49 #880907

sizes are in cm and costs are per day. 🙂

• The thread ‘Is there only one Bernina Express / day from Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.