Is this trip to Lucerne and Zermatt achievable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2017 at 9:49:09 #811295

We have plans of going to Switzerland this summer and of course, I only have 4 days to spare so I’d like to maximize the trip. Now here’s the case:

Day1: Arrive Zurich early morning, proceed to Lucerne and spend overnight.

Day2: Leave early morning by rail to Montreux (scenic ride) and get there sometime noon or early afternoon. Proceed to Zermatt (I googled will take about 2 hours trip) and spend overnight in Zermatt.

Day3: Take train from Zermatt to Chur (scenic ride). Overnight at Chur.

Day4: Proceed to Logano then take Gotthard Express to Lucerne (scenic ride).

Note: We intend to take only the regular trains on those scenic routes.

My question is: IS THIS ACHIEVABLE? Any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2017 at 5:27:30 #861074

Hi Almarina, welcome to MySwissAlps!

So much to see, so little time, indeed a problem I’m familiar with too:-) Your plan is certainly doable, except perhaps for day 4. It takes all day to take the Bernina Express route to Lugano so that’s not an option. I think your best bet is to take the bus from Chur to Bellinzona, then pick up the Gotthard Panorama Express route there. All scenic trains are explained here.

Montreux to Zermatt takes a bit more than 2.5 hours. Please see this timetable for accurate traveling times.

All of this, except the bus reservation, is included in the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2017 at 9:07:44 #861075

Thank you, Arno. I will have finalize plans before acquiring these travel passes. They will surely come in handy. Thanks for the info…

• The thread ‘Is this trip to Lucerne and Zermatt achievable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.