Is this a good itinerary for visit to Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 14:30:43 #816856

Hello,

I am in thought and planning to visit Switzerland with following plan as per understanding. I want to buy 4 days STP pass for me and my wife.

Can you share your comment if the fgollowing plan looks okay or is it saying too many mountains. I want to cover: major mountains, famous fall around these areas, famous lakes with boating

Plan for the 5 days

4th July evening: start train journey Einthoven, NL to Interlake west via IC train which takes entire night to reach in morning at Interlaken west. Is this train option worth and confirmation for a couple?

5th July: to Schilthorn and lake THUN (time permits)

Start: Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg: cable car to Schilthorn

Return: back to Interlaken via Grütschalp

Lake THUN boating in evening

All cable cars to the Schilthorn depart from the town of Mürren. Mürren can be reached via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp, or via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg. We recommend to go up via Stechelberg and go down via Grütschalp. That way you see more of the area, and going up from Stechelberg is quite spectacular as you will ascend an impressive 2108 m in just half an hour. From Interlaken, it takes about 90 minutes to reach the Schilthorn, depending on the route

6th July: start travel from Interlaken to Zermatt

Travel to: Interlaken west – Spiez- Brig- Zermatt

Visit Matterhorn glacier Does Regio express covers this route in STP pass 4 days?

7th July: Mt. Titlis.

In the morning, you would proceed to Engelberg from where you would experience an exciting journey to Mt. Titlis.

The last part of cable car way leads above the glacier. In Klein Titlis, it is possible to visit a glacier cave. Rest of the day would be free at your leisure.

Day 8: Mt. Pilatus or RIGI

During the summer, the “Golden Round Trip” – a popular route for tourists – involves taking a boat from Lucerne across Lake Lucerne to Alpnachstad, going up on the cogwheel railway, coming down on the aerial cableways and panorama gondolas, and taking a bus back to Lucerne.

Pilatus was named after a local legend which alleges that Pontius Pilate was buried there.

Day 9: ( I am without STP pass on this date but want to see following). Do you have any suggestion how to get following discounted as STP pass is for only 4 days.

Local Lucerne

Lake Lucerne

Transport Museum

wooden Chapel Bridge

Lion Monument

Lake promenade

Take a train from Lucerne and back to Basel airport in evening around 4 pm so to board the flight at 7 pm from Basel airport to Netherlands.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 15:43:10 #889284

Hi Viky and welcome to MySwissAlps!

July 4: I’m not sure what your questions is in regards to your train trip. Is it worth it over a flight?

July 5: Looks like a good plan

July 6: The type of train you take doesn’t matter – only the route matters and the route to Zermatt from Interlaken is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass – see map here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

July 9: Some hotels offer a free Luzern Mobility Ticket for free public transit. As for a Lake Cruise or the Transport Musuem you’ll have to buy regular tickets on that day.

• The thread ‘Is this a good itinerary for visit to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.