Is trip to Rhine falls recommended after 2:30 PM?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 8:37:06 #811600

Hello,

I will be staying 3 nights in Grindelwald and 2 nights in Lucerne. (Sep. 2 – Sep 6).

I will be arriving in Zurich by train from Paris at 2:30 PM. Will I have enough time to visit Rhine Falls and return to Grindelwald the same day?

Or can i be able to take the Golden Pass line if I arrive in Lausanne at 3:40 PM?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 April 2017 at 20:33:01 #862459

Hi Aaliya,

It’s about 50 minutes by train from Zurich to the Rhine Falls, and a 3h30 trip from there to Grindelwald. So you if you’re fine with a rather short visit and a late arrival in Grindewald, this can be done. Please consult myswissalps.com/rhinef alls/gettingthere and the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble for details.

It’s a bit late to catch a Golden Pass train with a 15:40 arrival in Lausanne, but it’s doable. Enter the trip in the timetable and use “Montreux” and “Zweisimmen” as via-stations in order to get the right route. You’ll be able to catch the 17h44 Golden Pass Panoramic train from Montreux to Zweisimmen. An hour earlier there’s a regular regional train between Montreux and Zweisimmen (same route, same views, just a different train).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 12:44:39 #862460

Thank you Annika

As I don’t want to rush things, I’ll do the Rhine falls trip on any other day. But i definitely want to catch a Golden Pass train.

I can take an earlier TGV and arrive Geneva at 12:15. I want to experience the Golden Pass scenic route on a panoramic train. What time of the Golden pass train I should opt? Is it also possible to visit Chillon castle?

Thanks again

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 April 2017 at 20:10:07 #862461

Hi Aaliya,

An earlier arrival would be better indeed, especially if you want to visit the Chillon castle: https://www.myswissalps.com/chilloncastle. You could spend a few hours at the castle (enter “Veytaux, chateaux de Chillon” in the timetable), and then travel up north using the Golden Pass route from Montreux. I think the 17h44 train is the last official Golden Pass train of the day, but as mentioned there are regular regional trains on the same route too. If you manage to catch an earlier train that’s preferable, as you’ll be able to travel the entire route in full daylight and to avoid a late arrival in Lucerne/Grindelwald (not sure where you’re heading that day). The general timetable I mentioned and the link to the Golden Pass timetable at myswissalps.com/golden pass/gettingthere will be of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 14:33:27 #862462

This is very helpful. Thanks Annika

I will be staying in Grindelwald first. I’m planning on buying a Swiss half fare card.

1. Do I need reservation on Golden pass trains if I’m buying half fare tickets?

2. Can I buy tickets at Geneva station for the whole trip Geneva to Grindelwald via “Montreux” and “Zweisimmen” ?

3. If I buy my tickets in Geneva,can I take any train on that route? As I want to spend few hours in Montreux and take the 15:44 golden pass train.( I understand that if the seats are reserved I have to take that train )

appreciate your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 14:42:00 #862463

Hi Aaliya,

1. You don’t have to make reservations on the Golden Pass – they are optional.
    2. Yes, you can enter the via stations on the ticket machines or use the SBB office if you have trouble.
    3. Yes,the ticket is ok for any train on the route that day, you buy unless you reserve the specific Golden Pass departure of course.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 17:10:22 #862464

Thank you Lucas, This clarifies all my doubts.

• The thread ‘Is trip to Rhine falls recommended after 2:30 PM?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.