Issue getting Swiss train ticket refund

• Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    1 March 2021 at 16:34:46 #825789

Hello, does anyone have any advice on getting my train tickets refunded from Happy Rail due to not being allowed to travel from Covid? I was supposed to travel last September and obviously couldn’t. I have tried to get a refund on the train tickets I booked for 5 people and they never did. They always only email me saying they will forward my request to the proper department and then I never hear from anyone. Any help is appreciated.

Susan P

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 March 2021 at 17:40:55 #934725

Hi Susan,

What kind of tickets did you book? Can you share your booking number/order reference please? I’ll see what I can do for you.

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    1 March 2021 at 17:49:32 #934726

Hello, We had booked the rail pass for the Bernina Express – Lugano and the Glacier Express excellence class all for 5 people. The booking number is KRRSUP. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Susan

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2021 at 10:59:19 #934727

Hi Susan,

HappyRail found that there was in issue in their payment platform that caused your refund to fail. They will follow up with you tomorrow.

If you need more assistance from us, just let me know.

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    3 March 2021 at 16:09:36 #934728

Thank you for your help with this. I will update you if I hear anything from them.

Best wishes,

Susan

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 March 2021 at 7:12:25 #934729

You’re welcome! You should have received an e-mail from them about 24 hours ago. Please check your spam folder too if you don’t see it. They need a bit of additional information from you in order to process your refund manually (it’s an automated process that went wrong apparently).

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    5 March 2021 at 18:48:59 #934730

I love that you got help with this!! Arno, you rock 😉

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 March 2021 at 7:43:32 #934731

Thanks SteelyD, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2021 at 8:51:27 #934732

Hi Susan,

Is this solved for you now?

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 March 2021 at 15:12:23 #934733

Hi again,

It is not resolved yet. They did send me an email saying they needed me to send them my account information because they were having trouble. On March 5th I replied to their email and sent my account info. Just today (March 9th) I got another email from them asking if I got their last email and saying again that they need my account info. I have replied once again today to their email and I even sent a separate email with my account information. It is someone named Mandy at Happyrail that sent me the emails but as of yet she hasn’t done anything and seems like she didn’t get my info although I sent it to her the day I got her email. I am hoping that these 2 emails I sent today will get to the right person that will actually act on it. Thank you for checking back. I will let you know if they respond, as of now I don’t have much confidence in them. They have been stringing me along like this for months.

Best,

Susan

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2021 at 15:44:17 #934734

Hi Susan,

I spoke to Mandy as well. She’s actually still waiting for you, hence the second e-mail, so I think there’s a problem with the e-mails. It sounds like your e-mail ends up in a spam filter somewhere. In order to prevent further delays, my suggestion is to forward your reply to our contact e-mail address. I will make sure they get the information they need.

Please let me know once you sent it to us, thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2021 at 17:42:34 #934735

Hi Susan,

I received your e-mail and forwarded the information to HappyRail. So it should all be arranged for soon. Note that you can call HappyRail too if needed: +31 71 5161983.

Please let us know once it’s all done.

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    11 March 2021 at 16:55:06 #934736

Hello again, I got a reply from Happyrail saying that they got the email but that they did not want the credit card info I sent them to refund it to, they wanted a bank account number. I have sent an email back to them with the bank account number. Could you check with Mandy to see if she received it or if I should send it through you again please? You have been very helpful with this, I truly appreciate it.

Susan

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2021 at 19:17:03 #934737

Hi Susan,

Sure, I’ll check with them, no problem!

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 March 2021 at 10:59:19 #934738

Hi Susan,

Your bank account number has reached the person who’ll be taking care of the refund. Hopefully you’ll soon get the chance to make the trip you wanted. Switzerland is looking forward to visitors 🙂

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    23 March 2021 at 16:22:44 #934739

Hello again, I’m not sure how long it should take them to give a refund once the info got to the proper people at HappyRail, but I’m just letting you know they still have not refunded me or contacted me again once they received my account info. I’m once again losing hope that they are going to refund me.

Susan

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 March 2021 at 11:47:57 #934740

Hi Susan,

They will definitely give you the refund, I have no doubt about that, but there is a lot of bad luck in this case for sure! They e-mailed you about an hour ago and cc’ed us. I received that e-mail, did you receive it too? It says the refund will go out next Tuesday, to your credit card (apparently something went wrong trying to transfer to the bank account).

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    25 March 2021 at 13:37:41 #934741

Hi Arno, I did get the email from happyrail today. It’s all just crazy because I originally gave them the credit card number to send the refund to because that is how I purchased the tickets. Then they said they wanted a bank account to refund to because they can’t refund to a credit card… which makes no sense. And now they say they had trouble trying to send it to a bank account and they are going to send it to the credit card…. It’s crazy. I certainly do appreciate your help because I don’t think they would even be speaking to me if you hadn’t gotten involved. I truly believe they have been holding my money as long as possible because of financial difficulties due to covid. We’ll I’ve had financial difficulties due to covid as well and need my money back… I’ve been asking for over a year so I think they were just hoping I would stop asking. Again, I appreciate your help. It is the most progress I’ve seen since you got involved. We’ll see if they follow through with what they have said this time.

Susan

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 March 2021 at 9:50:25 #934742

Hi Susan,

I fully understand how you feel. This will end well, but it’s annoying indeed. Please let me know once you received the money. You can contact us here in the forum or through e-mail at any time.

Susanp
    Participant
    17 posts
    2 April 2021 at 13:37:56 #934743

Hello Arno, I wanted to let you know that I did finally get my refund from Happyrail! Hurray! I wanted to thank you so much for your help with this. I hope we get to reschedule our trip sometime and get to enjoy your beautiful country. Best wishes,

Susan

Anna
    6274 posts
    2 April 2021 at 18:19:29 #934744

Hi Susan,

That is good news! Thanks for the update. Hope you’ll get to travel to Switzerland once everything returns to normal.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Issue getting Swiss train ticket refund’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.