Italy bordering Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 11:18:00 #812571

Hello everyone

Can you please tell me which Italian train stations are free with the swiss travel pass. The reason is that for us it is much cheaper to fly to Italy, Bergamo than to Zurich. I know I read somewhere that there are a few Italian train stations which accept the swiss travel pass. I think one of these is called Chiasso. Can anyone help? I would also like to check for example how to get to Chiasso from the airport of Bergamo. Apparently one has to go to Milan Central station and then get the train to Chiasso. So I am also thinking if it would be cheaper to get a taxi from Bergamo to Chiasso. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer back. Much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 13:22:11 #866524

Hi AC3912,

The only station/section of Italy I am aware of, where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid, is Domodossola.
    Chiasso is a Swiss border town so it will certainly work once you are there – you just need a ticket from the airport to Chiasso.

The most direct train route is with just one stop in Monza (not Milan), the whole trip is about 4.5 hours by train. I think that would be simpler and cheaper than a taxi first to Chiasso – up to you! You can search the train timetable here.

You can buy a train ticket from Bergamo to Chiasso here.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 22:12:19 #866525

Thanks Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 3:19:22 #866526

>> it is much cheaper to fly to Italy, Bergamo than to Zurich.

Are you returning to Bergamo to fly home? If so, you could consider incorporating the Bernina Express into the final part of your trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

Your Swiss Travel Pass would be valid as far as Tirano, but reservations are compulsory at a small additional cost.

You would need separate tickets for the train from Tirano to Bergamo, which takes about 2.75 hours, with one change in Lecco.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 8:08:34 #866527

Thanks alpenrose. Yes we will be flying from Bergamo back home. So yes it would be better to end the Bernina express in Tirano and not begin from Tirano.

Thanks again.

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 14:21:59 #866528

Hi Steph,

>> So yes it would be better to end the Bernina express in Tirano and not begin from Tirano.

You could do it either way if the timing suits. You haven’t mentioned when you will be travelling, but there are usually four Bernina Express departures daily from Tirano: two to St Moritz, one to Chur and one to Davos Platz.

1. 10:03 to St Moritz.

2. 14:03 to St Moritz.

3. 14:26 to Chur.

4. 15:12 to Davos Platz.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 18:01:26 #866529

Hello Alpenrose

I just got to know of the first Sunday family promotion which will save us a lot of money. At first we were going to buy the Swiss travel pass costing around 200 euros each for me and my husband and free family card for the kids. But now with this great offer of just 29CHF I am going to try buying the airline tickets to Bergamo in order to be there for Sunday 3 September and benefit from this. So after all we will then begin our journey from Tirano. And I suppose I have to make seat reservations right for the 3 September Graubunden Pass? Thanks Alpenrose.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 0:23:37 #866530

>> So after all we will then begin our journey from Tirano. And I suppose I have to make seat reservations right for the 3 September Graubunden Pass?

If you are travelling on any of the official Bernina Express services, reservations are compulsory for all passengers. If you travel on the regional trains, reservations aren’t necessary.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 July 2017 at 0:40:42 #866531

Hi Steph,

Where did you learn about “first Sunday family promotion“? Can you provide a link?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 3:28:31 #866532

>> Where did you learn about “first Sunday family promotion”? Can you provide a link?

Hi rockoyster, it’s here:

http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/promotions /family-ticket-for-chf-2900

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 July 2017 at 5:55:50 #866533

Cool! Thanks Alpenrose.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:16:37 #866534

Hello Alpenrose

I replied back to you without entering the form so you could not see my reply. The swissalps representative emailed me to inform me. So this is how you may see the offer: Open the website of Rhaetian railway. Click on the ‘Menu’, (at the top right hand corner which has three horizontal lines), then go to the heading ‘Tickets and travelcards’ and select ‘Promotions’. There you will find the Family ticket of CHF29. Let me know if you found it ok. Bye.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:18:47 #866535

Hello Rockoyster,

The message was for you but I now see that Alpenrose sent you the link. Sorry but I am not that computer friendly so that is why I described to you how to see the family offer.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:39:03 #866536

Thanks AC. Got it.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 22:53:53 #866537

Nice deal graubuenden.swisshotel s.com/en/hotels?currency=CHF ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 15:11:24 #866538

Dear Rockoyster

I was trying to see the link you sent me of the swiss hotels that give you the graubundenpass for free but when I try to give the ages of our children it freezes and does not proceed….I have come to the conclusion that the graubunden pass is the best choice because after all we are not going to travel around all Switzerland so we do not need the swiss travel pass. Also with the Bernina express we need to book with return and pay the reservation seat twice since we arrive and depart from Milan Bergamo airport whereas with the graubunden pass we do not need to pay any reservation seats right? So what is the difference between the Bernina Express and the other trains of the Graubunden? They all go through the same stations right?

Thanks for the deal of the hotel with graubunden pass. I will try again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 15:45:20 #866539

Hi ac3912,

No matter what rail pass you have, seat reservations on the Bernina Express are mandatory and an extra cost.

The Bernina Express train is a specially designed panoramic train. Other regional “normal” trains run on the exact same route as the Bernina Express. So if you don’t care about the larger panoramic windows (and better food service) you can save on the reservation cost by taking regional trains.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Italy bordering Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.