Italy & Switzerland in June – trip planning help

• philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    5 January 2018 at 19:06:02 #813949

Hi!

We intend to travel from USA to Rome,Florence in June 2018. From Florence we will take a train to Switzerland and I have 2 itinerary to select.

1.FROM FLORENCE VIA MILAN EITHER CAN GO TO ST.MORTRIZ( 1 night)

2.FROM ST.MORTRIZ TO ZERMATT.(1 night)

3.ZERMATT TO MONTREUX(1 night)

4.MONTREX-LUZERN(2 nights)

5.LUZERN-GRINDELWALD(2 nights)

6.GRINDELWALD TO GENEVA(2 nights)

GENEVA-USA

1. Milan to Lucerne (3 hours). . Overnight in Lucerne. (2 NIGHT)

2. Rail transfer to Andermatt (2 hours). Scenic train ride by Glacier Express to Zermatt. (2 NIGHTS) in Zermatt

3.- Rail transfer to Grindelwald (3 hours). Poss. mountain excursion to Mt Schilthorn. Overnight in Grindelwald.(2 NIGHT)

– Full day in Jungfrau area: Excursion to Mt Jungfrau. Overnight in Grindelwald.

4.- Rail transfer to Zweisimmen. Scenic train ride by Golden Pass to Montreux. . Overnight in Montreux.(1 NIGHT) –

5.Rail transfer to Geneva (1 hour). Overnight in Geneva.(1 NIGHT)

. Departure from Geneva Airport.

Which itinerary will be more scenic? Buying Euro rail 2 country select pass is advisable or buy train tickets in Itlay and buy flexi swiss travel pass.

Appreciate your feed back.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2018 at 23:09:03 #873657

Hi PhilipD –

Either one is a good itinerary, althouh perhaps a bit busy.

Without studying the details, I offer one suggestion. If i were doing it, I would stay in Wengen or Mürren instead of Grindelwald.

Grindelwald is more commercial, and less charming.

You may find this interesting, and even helpful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 3:18:26 #873658

Hello phillipd and Welcome to MySwiss Alps

You have a few bits of zig-zagging happening there.

Milan to Lucerne in 3 hours goes via the Gotthard Base Tunnel so you spend 57Km underground. Not much scenery there. And I can’t see you getting from Florence to St.Moritz in a day.

How about:

Get from Florence to Lugano for 1st night stay. Then . . . .

Or for a less travel-intense and hotel hopping itinerary:

• Lugano to Lucerne via Gotthard Panorama Express
    • Lucerne to Montreux via Golden Pass Line stopping off for a three or four night at, say, Wengen in the Jungfrau Region and an optional day trip to Zermatt.

Don’t bother swapping from Montreux to Geneva unless you have a very early flight. Montreux is within easy reach of Geneva Airport (around an hour).

Use the Swiss Railway timetable to figure out how long each leg is going to take you. See http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Which pass suits you best will depend on how much train travel you plan in Italy. Also read http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass and http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 7:07:25 #873659

Hi PhilipD,

The rail pass option will certainly depend on your Italy plans. The Eurail Select Pass would probably only work out if you do a fair bit of train travel there as well. If not, probably point to point tickets plus either the Swiss Travel Pass or maybe the Swiss Travel Pass Flex would be better.

Use our web page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you find out for sure.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 21:49:58 #873660

Hello philipd,

My assertion “I can’t see you getting from Florence to St.Moritz in a day” was based on a quick search using the SBB timetable. But it does some pretty weird things with cross border trips. Very much “round the world for sixpence”.

I didn’t realise that it is possible to get from Florence to Milan in a tad over 2 hours on the fastest train. From there you could train to Tirano and follow the Bernina Express route to St Moritz. So with an early start definitely doable in a day.

Or, for a shorter day, you could go via Domodossola to Zermatt ready for a trip on the Glacier Express.

So many options.

philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    6 January 2018 at 23:35:54 #873661

SLOWPOKE:

Thank you so much for the quick response and great information! I will check into all those recommendations

Philipd

philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    6 January 2018 at 23:36:42 #873662

Lucas:

Many Thanks.

Philipd

philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    6 January 2018 at 23:42:34 #873663

Rockoyster:

Thank you so much for the quick response and great information! I will check into all those recommendations.I might change my itinerary as getting good air travel price for arrival At Zurich first and departing from Rome back to USA.

Philipd

• The thread ‘Italy & Switzerland in June – trip planning help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.