Italy to France via Bernina Express, March 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 16:11:41 #813133

Hello,

I am wondering if the following itinerary is possible, and I am find it difficult to find the schedule since I am looking so far ahead to March.

Depart Florence early Saturday morning (7am?), take regular trains to Tirano via Milan. (March 24th, 2018)

Then take the 14:26 Bernina Express from Tirano, and stop for the night in Pontresina or St Moritz area.

Sunday, take the remainder of the Bernina Express route onto Chur, and then high speed trains on to Zurich and Paris, arriving Sunday evening.

I am wondering if this is reasonable/possible and if anyone knows what the March schedule might be? Perhaps there are less trains on Sundays and I should stay in the alps until Monday and then head on to Paris? I would like to do the complete Bernina Express Route, but I would like to stay a night in the middle like St Moritz or another picturesque village in the alps, rather than Zurich.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this idea !Thank you!

Cheers !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 10:44:31 #869236

Hi akthede,

The railway timetables in Switzerland for after December 9, 2017 aren’t released until mid-October. The same I think is similar for Italy and other countries.

There will be a few less trains on Sundays but nothing dramatic enough to change your plans ( would think).

Stopping on the Bernina Express route to stay overnight is ok, but sometimes, depending on the schedule, you may not be able to be on a panoramic train for the entire route. You are of course on the same route, but a part of the route may need to be taken on a regional train instead – which I think is fine as well.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Italy to France via Bernina Express, March 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.