Italy to Switzerland to France, which rail pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    17 July 2018 at 6:54:58 #890477

Hi Arno,

on SBB if I choose Bern to Spiez I get a few different choices.

Direction Sweismann

Direction Interlaken

Direction Brig

So are you saying that we only need to go from Bern to Spiez and we can get Golden pass from Speiz? or do we need to take a further train from Speiz to Sweizman and then the golden pass to Montreux?

Apologies for all the questions

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 8:25:05 #890478

Hi Matt,

The easiest way to find connections from Bern is to input Bern to Montreux via Zweisimmen on the timetable. There are trains that connect in Spiez first or some direct to Zweisimmen (don’t worry about the direction of travel for the train; just choose the timings that work best for you).

Depending on the train you take you may have to change in Speiz to get to Zweisimmen. All trains will pass through Speiz on the way to Zweisimmen but you may not need to change there.

Some trains are denoted as MOB Panoramic between Zweisimmen and Montreux and are panoramic trains if you want to try for those connections (same route though on all trains).

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    17 July 2018 at 12:46:41 #890479

Thank you one again for the replies. We would be completely lost without them.

From a scenic point of view are we in for a scenic treat during the Speiz > Zweismen > Montreux? or are there other more scenic routes on the golden pass?

Regards

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 5:28:47 #890480

Typically the Zweisimmen to Montreux section is considered the most scenic and has the option of panoramic coaches as well.

The Lucerne to Interlaken section is also quite nice but I wouldn’t go out of my way in your case to do it.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    18 July 2018 at 8:20:22 #890481

Hi Lucas,

We have the swiss rail pass. Its supposed to be covered on the golden pass? If I try to book on reservations.mob.ch. I am getting changed 52 CHF from Speiz to Zwissman > Montreux.

Is this correct? kind of defeats the purpose , i’m getting charged. or is this just the reservation price?

Many thanks Lucas

Matt

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    18 July 2018 at 13:09:27 #890482

Lucas,

Do you think we need to reserve seats on the golden pass , zweisman to MontreuxIn late September? Or could we ust turn up and board?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 14:58:44 #890483

Hi Matt,

Reservations should be 8chf per person. That is an extra cost above your Swiss Travel Pass.

However, I wouldn’t bother making them in late September no.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    21 July 2018 at 2:34:04 #890484

Hi Lucas,

I didn’t see the last sentence of your reply. I actually booked them 1st class. No harm done I suppose. I only have a 2nd class swiss pass. What does that mean for the 1st class tix i bought. Can i still use them?

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 9:10:19 #890485

No worries on reservations – it isn’t bad to make them of course. They are nice to have.

So, if you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass and 1st class seat reservations, you’ll need to buy a class upgrade before boarding the train. This can be done online at SBB, on their phone app or at the rail station. No rush just do it before boarding the train. 🙂

Cost is 1/2 the price between a 1st class ticket and a 2nd class ticket.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    26 July 2018 at 5:34:01 #890486

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. So CHF 12.50 is the difference when I check on sbb.ch. So CHF 6.25. Not too bad 🙂

Just so I am clear. If we have the swiss travel pass. My family and I can just board any train in Switzerland and present the swiss pass and family pass, we don’t need to go to a ticket machine at the stations (with the exceptions of Bernina and glacier etc, which we have reserved)

Our final train ride in Switzerland is going from Montreux to Annecy , am I correct in saying that we just have to buy a ticket from the closest station at the swiss border to Annecy?

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2018 at 10:39:55 #890487

Hi Matt,

Yes correct, no other tickets needed as long as the trip is covered 100% by the Swiss Travel Pass (even then kids with the Swiss Family Card need no ticket, just you). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Correct in regards to Annecy, which means it would be Geneva.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    26 July 2018 at 10:46:42 #890488

Lucas,

Thank you very very much indeed.

Kind Regards

Matt

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    27 July 2018 at 8:29:27 #890489

Hi All,

Traveling from Milan Airport to Milan central then to Tirano to get the Bernina express.

Can we get any discounts with the swiss travel pass? one website thetrainline.com has the attached options for SBB. I take it the swiss pass is not included?

And one last one. There is no change of train from Tirano to Chur on the bernina?

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2018 at 10:03:41 #890490

No discounts in Italy with the Swiss Travel Pass no. It acts like the “GA” within Switzerland but isn’t the same product. It is funny at all that there would be a discount for the GA for a trip entirely in Italy.

It might be listed as a default option but I have a feeling no discount would be applied in the end (except for the GA + RP (RailPass) option.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    27 July 2018 at 14:06:10 #890491

Lucas,

I can’t thank you enough for all your replies to my questions. Would be very much in the dark without your guidance.

We are just hoping the weather is ok for us as we are there from the 18-25 September, esp hoping for clear weather for the Bernina /Glacier/Golden pass Lauterbrunnen/Zermatt. In your experience is it still sunny clearer weather at that tim of year?

again thank you very much

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2018 at 15:44:42 #890492

No worries, happy to help. 🙂

September is generally good weather, right up to mid-October. Rain and clouds is possible at any time of course. This is especially true on the mountains and higher elevations in general.

I’ll cross my fingers for you but you should be ok most of the time.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The thread ‘Italy to Switzerland to France, which rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.