Italy visa required for travel on Bernina Express

• Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    15 July 2018 at 5:03:03 #817274

We will be travelling from St. Moritz to Lugano by bernina Exp, do we require Italy Visa while the train passes through Tirano. we will not be going in Tirano.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 9:23:52 #891388

Hi Ajittipnis,

The train stops in Tirano and you transfer to a bus to continue on to Lugano. So you are going to be in Italy. Have you booked reservations? They are mandatory on the Bernina Express train and bus: https://www.myswissalp s.com/berninaexpress/p ackages

Your visa for Switzerland should give you access to all countries in the Schengen zone (as there typically aren’t border checks anymore). You’ll want to confirm this with the Italian embassy/consulate though.

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    16 July 2018 at 13:21:00 #891389

Thanks Lucas.

Does it mean that our swiss visa or rather Schengen Visa is valid not only for swiss but all schengen zone and we can travel within schengen zone many times across any schengen countries ( without leaving the schengen zone).

Also can you inform me any site where I can upload my Itinerary and cross check for the viability or suggestions?

Sorry to bother you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 16:48:56 #891390

Usually once you are in a Schengen zone country you can travel as you please yes. But best to check with a local embassy to be sure for your specific case.

You can copy and paste your itinerary here if you’d like us to look at it.

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    17 July 2018 at 4:24:53 #891391

Thanks Lucas, I will send you my Itinerary to you, its pretty long, but will send as attachment. dont know if you can spare time for that but no issue even if you can not spare so much time, I know you must be quite busy.

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    17 July 2018 at 7:20:37 #891392

Dear Mr. Lucas

Attached is the Itinerary, pl go through it if possible check the routes and suggest.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 5:21:18 #891393

Hi Ajittipnis,

I went through and looked at a few prices for train trips and there are corrections needed.

Note that the trip from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg is not fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Same with Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald. The entire round-trip is 25% off not just from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch.

Also First is only covered 50% as well with the Swiss Travel Pass.
    Klein Matterhorn is 50% off with Swiss Travel Pass.

Be sure to study our validity page and the map here to make sure everything is corrected before choosing your pass. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 July 2018 at 5:29:09 #891394

You mean 25% Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald, Lucas. Nit-picking I know. 🤓

Also Mannlichen cableway not fully covered by STP (50%).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 6:12:03 #891395

Yes, got me!

There were a few discount issues on there. All needs a double-check I think.

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    18 July 2018 at 13:51:01 #891396

Thanks Lucas and Rockoyster for feed back. will re check the costing part.

• The thread ‘Italy visa required for travel on Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.