Luzern to Salzburg by scenic trains in 2 days

Luzern to Salzburg by scenic trains in 2 days

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Jan 14, 2017 - 4:41 PM

Hi All

Happy New Year to all

I hope somebody can help me out

Staying in Lucerne and wish to carry on to Salzburg my idea is this

1. Travel from Lucerne/ Luzern to Zermatt on the Glacier Express (have swiss travel pass - is this free then ?? seat reservation required. Take a walk in at Zermatt (thinking 5 lakes walk) any suggestions.

2. Continue travel that day onto Chur or St.Mortiz have temporary booked accommmoation in both places. Which is best??

3. Following morning depending on where we stay take a short hike in the area - ie if it was St.Mortiz lake walk.

4, From there take a train to either Innsbruck or onto Salzburg rough estimate St.Mortiz to Innsbruck 5 hrs

Hope somebody can help with ideas - any other suggestions on how to get to Salzburg from Luzern in 2 days taking in Scenic rail journeys would be appreciated.

Arno
Arno
10362 posts
expert &
Jan 14, 2017 - 4:57 PM

Hi twiggy321,

Happy 2017! Your point 1 and 2 can't be done in one day. My suggestion would be to follow the route of the Gotthard Panorama Express until Andermatt, then change to the Glacier Express to St. Moritz. The next day, take a train to Landquart via Sagliains, and continue to Salzburg from there. There is also a route via Scuol and Landeck but it requires more changes and is partly by bus.

Some helpful links:

twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Jan 14, 2017 - 5:53 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks for your reply Arno

1. Would it therefore be better to just do a day trip from Luzern/Lucerne to Zermatt for the day and return back to Luzern for the night and then the following morning do the Salzburg trip via Zurich .

2. is there a way i could combine the Gothard Panorama Express and some of the Glacier Express in a day. Many thanks once again for your suggestions

Arno
Arno
10362 posts
expert &
Jan 14, 2017 - 6:22 PM in reply to twiggy321

Hi twiggy321,

1. It can be done but it's a pretty long day trip.

2. Yes, sure, you can combine parts of both. See my previous post and the pages I linked to.

Last modified on Jan 14, 2017 - 6:23 PM by Arno

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018