4 days Lauterbrunnen and Lucerne on a budget

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 14:35:25 #822331

I will be arriving Zurich airport in the morning at 10.30 on 27 June. I have this itinerary planned but I was wondering if it is a feasible one and if there are better suggestions? We are a family of 4 with a 4 day Swiss travel pass. We are interested in sightseeing the main attractions, on a budget, not interested in shopping.
    27 June, train to Lauterbrunnen, arrive by 4pm latest, check in the hotel and then head to Trummelbach falls. Back to hotel for the night.
    28 June, go to Jungfraujoch early morning, come back late afternoon, walk around Grindelwald, come back to hotel, take luggage and then head by train to Lucerne in the evening. Check in the hotel.
    29 June, go to Mount Titlis early morning, come back by late afternoon, relax and sightseeing in Lucerne. Head back to hotel for the night.
    30 June, early morning guided walking tour of Lucerne, checkout of hotel in the afternoon and head by train to Zurich, check in the hotel. Evening Zurich downtown boat ride and walk in old Zurich. Head back to the hotel.
    1 July, Check out and off to the airport.
    Is this a good itinerary for a 4 day visit, or do you have any better suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2019 at 18:53:36 #915485

Hi Chai-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Thanks for the details, it makes it a lot easier to help you.

<<“I will be arriving Zurich airport in the morning at 10.30 on 27 June.”>>

I am pleased to note that your family will be accompanying you. Are the children old enough that they will not affect your planning? Some people believe that infants should not be exposed to the high altitude of the Jungfrau.

You have a busy schedule but it can be done.

<<“but I was wondering if it is a feasible one”>>

Will you be jet-lagged?

What time is your flight from Zürich on the 1st?

Some other thoughts. You can pay for a tour of Luzern, but it is very tourist friendly:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

You may not wish to pay for a tour on June 30. However, it will surely take you the places that all the other tourists go to.

On June 28th., you might find Grindelwald t0 be not so good for walking around. It is spread out and has very little charm and lots of stores, hotels, and restaurants. And, decent views of the Alps.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

If I were doing it, I’d go back to Lautrbrunnen, perhaps with a stop at Wengen to walk around and see the attached view, then time permitting, maybe walk around the valley floor, or visit Mürren. Maybe go to the Trummelbach Falls then, if you miss them on your arrival..

For the time in Zürich, the boat ride might not be available late in the day. Not sure; July is certainly the time of year when they provide the maximum number of trips. Check the schedules. Boat rides on Lake Lucerne are more scenic.

Finally, please note that many people use this forum to help choose options for their own trips. That is why the forum rules request an informative title. “Itinerary” offers no help.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 22:43:21 #915486
    • The kids are 12 and 15 years, so I am sure they should be fine to be on the go.
    • Yes I am worried about Jet Lag since we will be arriving 27th morning at 10.30am and our onward flight is on July 1st at 9.45am.
    • Thank you for the tip regarding Lucerne and Grindelwald.
    • So is Wengen and Murren on the way from Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen? Which one is more scenic Wengen or Murren, to walk for an hour or so before hopping back on the train? Anything to see in Kleine Scheidegg briefly?
    • We were planning to take the River Limmat cruise which is for an hour or so just to get the feel of Zurich : http://www.zsg.ch/en/timetabl e-prices/river-limmat-cruises
    • If we take the Lucerne cruise, I guess we will have to skip the Zurich downtown visit totally
    • One thing of interest was the cheese or chocolate making factory tour. However I couldn’t find one within the close vicinity of the places I am visiting. Any suggestion?
    • Another concern was I was checking the long term forecast and it shows cloudy on 28th June when we are planning a visit to Jungfraujoch. Should I be worried or just make the trip no matter what?
    • If I have to choose between Jungfraujoch or Titlis, what should I choose, or are both a must see?
    • Sorry about the general name for the forum. Is there a way I can change it now?
    • Lastly but not the least, thank you so much for all the help, tips, guidance you provide.
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 June 2019 at 3:27:23 #915487

This map will show you the geography of Mürren, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, KS and Grindelwald.

map.search.ch/?pos=643232,162064&z=32 &poi=zug

The cableways from Grindelwald to Männlichen will not be running and there will a (slower) replacement bus.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 June 2019 at 8:25:00 #915488

Hi Chai,

This might be an option before or after your Titlis visit: http://www.schaukaeserei-engelberg.ch/english/.

Titlis and Jungfraujoch are both wonderful and very different. Please see these pages to make a choice if needed:

• The thread ‘4 days Lauterbrunnen and Lucerne on a budget’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.