4-5 days Switzerland, solo male backpacker

4-5 days Switzerland, solo male backpacker

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
mjm7757
mjm7757
1 post
Jul 14, 2018 - 9:09 AM

Hi, I will be flying from Split to Geneva late on July 15th and spend the next 4-5 days exploring the Swiss Alps before moving on to Chamonix on the 20th. Things I would like to see include Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Jungfraujoch, Zermatt, and Aletsch glacier, but not sure best how to accomplish this. I've been keeping an eye on the weather and see that storms are forecast for most days. I'm a strong hiker and have my equipment for via ferratas as well, however, thunderstorms would likely preclude climbing. I will be using the four day Swiss pass to get around.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5013 posts
expert
Jul 14, 2018 - 4:43 PM in reply to mjm7757

Himjm7757

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

Storms are often in the late afternoon or evening, and the Alpine wether is unpredictable more that 24 hours in advance.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/advice-regarding-schilthorninterlaken

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/weather-in-lauterbrunnen-area

The timetable will guide you for all transportation modes; please be sure to check the introduction page here:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

This map is useful for the lay of the land and transport ( xoom in to zoom level 32; use the menu under Points of Interest" - but does not include altitudes:

map.search.ch/?pos=640128,164304&z=32

Here is the hikers map:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 37401.79&N=1164646.52& zoom=6

Trail coding: www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Pano of Jungfrau region:

www.mappery.com/Jungfr au-Grindelwald-region-summer-map

You can see the Aletsch form Jungfraujoch, if I recall corectly.

An excellent viewpoint is at Eggishorn:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 48971.29&N=1145241.60& zoom=5

The timetable will get you there.

Slowpoke

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
194 posts
Jul 14, 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hi.

There's lots to do for a hiker with a bit of experience. You could walk up to Gleckstein hut which is on the flank of the Wetterhorn. The walk is quite exposed in places and you have to walk through a small waterfall, but the hut is a popular excursion for day trippers and overnighters. If you plan to go on your own, phone ahead so the hut warden is expecting you, and tell someone where you are going before you leave and phone them when you arrive to let them know you've ok.

Something I've always wanted to do that you may like, is to walk down the Aletsch glacier. This is a 2 day guided walk starting at the Jungfraujoch, with an overnight stay at the Koncordia hut. This isn't a solo hike but i think it would be a fantastic adventure. I just have to convince my wife.

Cheers

Alan

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018