Itinerary advice: 2.5 days in Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 10:12:05 #814245

I’m arriving in Zürich by flight at 0830 on Friday 15th June and departing Zürich at 1100 on Monday 18th June. Can you suggest me an itinerary with a short trip in Bern, Blausee, Jungfraujoch, some hiking (perhaps Lauterbrunnen Valley waterfalls from Mürren), Trümmelbach Falls, Grindelwald First, Harder Kulm + some other side trips?

My rough plan is as follows:

Day 1 (Friday)

• 0830 Arrive zurich airport, immigration
    • 1130 Pick up rental car, drive to Bern
    • 1300 Arrive Bern, Lunch, Historiches Museum, Altstadt, etc.
    • Night Drive to Interlaken
    • Stay in Wengen/Murren/Interlaken??

Day 2 (Saturday)

• 0900 Train to Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen
    • 1000 Arrive Jungfraujoch
    • 1400 come down to Gindelwald, hike to First

Day 3 (Sunday)

• 0800 Drive to Blausee
    • 1100 Drive back to Interlaken, Cable car up to Mürren, Lunch
    • 1300 Hike down through Lauterbrunnen 72 waterfalls
    • 1600 Enter Trammelbach falls
    • Night drive back to Zurich to catch flight next day

What would you change? are there any other interesting places I’m missing out that I might be able to squeeze in or even do in place of what i’ve planned here? thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 15:54:20 #875599

Hi ee7klt and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’d first suggest traveling by train in Switzerland rather than car – read about the pros and cons here. If you go the train route I’d get the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass to cover most the your trips (Jungfraujoch is not fully covered but discounted 25%). You’ll have to use a train to get to Jungfraujoch anyway (and Wengen or Murren if you stay at either location).

I’d look at staying in Lauterbrunnen, Murren , Grindelwald or Wengen. What is bringing you to Blausee for a few hours?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 1:48:10 #875600

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply! The reason for travelling by car was because I’m not sure where to keep my luggage during the Day trip in Bern, and also if I’m not sure where I’ll be in the Jungfrau area at the end of the day before I leave, so I might have to go back up to the hotel again to collect my luggage. For example if I stay in Wengen, and I end the day with a hike down to Lauterbrunnen, I will have to go back to Wengen to collect luggage. Is this too much of a hassle. Do you know if the train station in Bern has a luggage storage locker? I’m carrying two 20″ sized cabin luggage with rollers.

I wanted to visit Blausee because it looks absolutely stunning for pictures and seems like a good place for picnic. Oh and the organic trout too of course. I was basing the 3 hrs off of driving because Google maps said it takes only 40mins to get there from Interlaken by car. But it looks like if I’m going by train+bus it will take around 1.5hrs to get there is that correct? In that case I will need to budget for time for it. How about the rest of the timings in my itinerary? Do those look reasonable? How long should I budget for the trip to Blausee and back assuming I with to spend 2 hrs there? About 5hrs total? How would that impact the timing on the rest of my itinerary? Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 1:54:50 #875601

Also, I have a flight to Vienna from Zurich on the 18th leaving at 1055am. Do I need to go back to Zurich the night before, or do you think I could comfortably stay in Bern the night before and travel from Bern direct to Zurich the next morning to catch the flight which would give me more time to explore Bern. Is that too risky?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 8:42:55 #875602

Hi ee7klt,

From Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is only 12 minutes by train.So it is doable. The station does have lockers as well, as has Bern. The SBB does provide information on lockers: get to this page, fill out your train station and then click the tab ‘Equipment’. If lockers are available, this will be displayed, even including sizes and costs.

From Interlaken to Blausee is about 1h15. Please use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip. If you’re planning to stay two hours, your total trip will be between four and five hours. From Blausee you can plan your trip directly to Murren. From what I can see in the timetable, it takes about 2h20.

You don’t need to go back to Zurich the night before. There is a direct connections which brings you in 1h10 to Zurich airport.

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice: 2.5 days in Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.