8 day itinerary Geneva, Wengen/Lucerne as base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2019 at 14:41:31 #820389

Hi,

Thank you very much for your informative website. It has been a great resource in planning our trip.

Please provide feedback on the below:

Group of 8 – 6 in their 20‘s and 2 in their mid/upper 50’s. Arriving 5/18, departing 5/26. We will be purchasing the 8 day STP and the 4 day Jungfrau pass (explanation coming as I know you don’t recommend overlapping passes)

• Arrive Geneva 5/18 early afternoon after an overnight flight from the USA.

That afternoon take a quick tour of the city (store luggage at main Geneva station) followed by a 16:00’sh train to Wengen.

• We will be based in Wengen from 5/18-5/23. With no specific days in mind (weather/snow dependent), we plan to cover the following:

Hikes: First to Bachalapsee Lake; Harder Klum area; Lauterbrunnen to Murren

Visit Top of Europe

Visit Bern and surrounding area

Lake cruise (Interlaken)

• We then transfer to Lucerne for the rest of our stay. Here we plan to cover:

Visit Mt. Titilus, Mt. Rigi, Mt. Stanserhorn, Chapel Bridge, Zurich, Rhine Falls

Rationale behind getting both passes: we want to have lots of flexibility. We may or may not travel as a group the whole time, some may try different hikes in Jungfrau while some take the train.

As for the cost…the 4 day pass with the STP discount is 135 CHF with Top of Europe costing 61 CHF (your website says 69 but looking directly at Jungfrau site it shows 61 or 74 depending on time of year). Total 196 CHF. Without it we would be paying for the trip to First – 30 CHF; Top of Europe – 132 CHF (176-25%). Total 162 CHF. This means if we did one more “trip” in the area it would pay for itself. I can see us doing at least this.

My questions are:

• Does the above seem reasonable?
    • Is my logic correct on the passes?
    • Is it worthwhile going to Lake Oeschinensee while in Wengen (2hr train ride)
    • Is it worthwhile going to the Rhine Falls? (2 hr train ride)
    • Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you for your time

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Crossofiron
    Participant
    32 posts
    14 March 2019 at 20:00:49 #906475

I am noby means an expert like some of the folks on this site. Disclaimer! I have done Lucerne 3 times and the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen area 3 times.

Going back to Switzerland for 9 days April 27th thru May 6.

Stayed in the Lauterbrunnen Valley 2 of the 3 times and once “up the hill” in Wengen. For me, the Valley was much preferred. Other than that your trip looks great. I did a bike rental and rode from the Valley up to Murren and then back down to the Valley last May 6th,and did the Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg train ride and hiked back down to Wengen. That was May 7th 2018. Lucky with the weather and snow. Wonderful once in a lifetime experience and did not see another person during the hike.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2019 at 7:10:59 #906476

Is my logic correct on the passes?

A 4-day Jungfrau Travel Pass with discount is CHF155. Just saying.

You say ‘This means if we did one more “trip” in the area it would pay for itself‘. Are you factoring in that the extra trip would in any even be covered either fully or partially by the STP? eg Schilthorn is free with STP! A great bargain.

Can’t say I get your logic. If all you do is break even on the cost of the JTP, by contriving to use it instead of the STP, then what’s the point? 🧐 But if it works for you then go for it.

Is it worthwhile going to the Rhine Falls? (2 hr train ride)

The Rhine Falls will be getting a good flow on (snow melt from Alps) by the time you are there. But I wouldn’t rate it as a must see. It’s a 4 hour return trip fro Luzern. Spend a couple of hours there and it turns into quite a lengthy excursion. It’s very much a personal preference thing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2019 at 8:23:41 #906477

Hi,

Regarding the passes, it would also seem like perhaps getting a combination of passes for the days you want or a regional pass plus point to point tickets would work out cheaper. It depends if your goal is value for money or flexibility I suppose… Have a look at our section on choosing the best travel pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

You will find a spreadsheet tool that will allow you to do the math between the different options.

Here are links to your destinations for further reading:

I would also agree with Rockoyster, due to travel times you would end up spending a day to see the Rhine Falls and in this time you could do a lot more in the areas you are visiting. The Rhine Falls would be worth it if you are spending some time in Zurich.

All the best for your trip!

Maria.

• The thread ‘8 day itinerary Geneva, Wengen/Lucerne as base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.