Switzerland in September โ€“ 3 week planning help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 21:43:31 #874136

Hi Kay,

I have a few suggestions for improvement . . . . .

. . . . . just kidding.

Enjoy. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 21:51:31 #874137

Hi Kay,

Flex gives you 15 days travel in 30 days. Several days you will be hiking and wonโ€™t need transport.

Of course now your itinerary is settled you can do the math. You should read โ€œHow to chose the best travel passโ€ (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

As well as the Swiss Travel Pass there are many reigonal passes (http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasses) which can work depending on where you are based and how much travel you plan.

But the longer duration STP( Flex) you buy the lower the daily rate.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2018 at 22:07:54 #874138

<<โ€œHello All, Here is my last, final itinerary:โ€>>

I like it. I hope Rockoyster will accept it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

<<โ€œThere is enough left undone to warrant a trip back ; )โ€>>

Only one trip back?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2018 at 22:21:04 #874139

Hi Rockoyster-

<<โ€œFlex gives you 15 days travel in 30 days. Several days you will be hiking and wonโ€™t need transport.โ€>

One of the joys of alpine hiking in Switzerland is that you can ride a cableway up to the top, or public transport to the trailhead, walk a while or not, eat lunch with a view at a mountain restaurant, or something simpler, walk somewhere further as desired, and ride some form of public transport back to the starting point.

The critical part is getting up and down the 1000 or more meters that are often required, without killing yourself or ruining your knees. The devices which permit it require payment for services. Using enough of them can add up to a significant extra cost. The different passes, as you know, offer different discounts (or none) on some of the mountain transport . It can add up, so the spreadsheet suggests including those costs, such as the ride up to Jungfrau or Schilthorn. Enough of some of the expensive trips can add up to a sum that can justify using a pass instead of buying a regular ticket.

I have not developed expertise on the various passes,because my travel patterns have stabilized. I travel every day that I am in Switzerland. I try to be there for at least two weeks at a time. I have a residentโ€™s Halb-tax, and often rent a car for part time use. Travel in the back country is almost always possible by train and bus, but the schedule limits flexibility for poking around looking for pllces to take pictures. I just use those ( Car and Halb-tax, that is a Half-fare card) and forget about figuring out the different cost patterns.

Slowpoke.

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    21 January 2018 at 23:13:30 #874140

Slowpoke, I was wondering about transportation on hiking days as I can easily imagine the scenarios you outline. Also I do think I can take advantage of a โ€œlocal passโ€ for instance when we are in the Upper Engdadine. In any event I have not yet done the math.

Also glad you like this version of the itinerary.

Kay

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 23:31:50 #874141

Hi Kay,

As Slowpoke points out you may need transport even when hiking.

Whether it makes sense to use a day from your travel pass depends on how much travel. With a Flex Pass there is nothing to stop you filling in the gaps with say a Jungfrau Pass while staying in Wengen.

The whole pass thing is a bit of a balancing act. The point of the Flex is that you can use it on the days you choose as opposed to 15 (or however many) consecutive days for the regular Swiss Travel Pass. For me the value of the convenience was important.

I didnโ€™t do the whole spreadsheet thing. I just worked out how much I would save on the 5 most expensive trips/excursions and then considered how much I would have to travel per day to break even on the cost of the pass. As it turned out we saved well over CHF700 against regular fares.

Given your Paris connections donโ€™t ignore the Eurail 2-country Select Pass augmented with some form of Swiss pass.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 January 2018 at 23:34:53 #874142

Hi Kay,

I am pleased to see that you are already thinking that this trip will not be enough. You should plan on coming back several times, as there is so much diversity packed into such a tiny country. I hope that on a future trip you will get over to the three lakes (Bienne, Morat, and Neuchรขtel) area.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 1:51:42 #874143

Hi Kay,

Something to help stretch a Flex pass? Just spotted this on a post from Alpenrose666.

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.c h/sommer/en/bergbahnen -inclusive/

Post is here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/exploring-places-along-the-bernina-pass

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    25 January 2018 at 2:48:06 #874144

Rockoyster, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have been away from my computer for a couple of days. I am aware of this local pass but had not yet sussed it out. Just briefly looking at the link posted it appears to be very useful to me.

Kay

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • The thread โ€˜Switzerland in September โ€“ 3 week planning helpโ€™ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

Weโ€™re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annikaโ€™s 20-minute e-mail course, โ€œSwitzerland for beginnersโ€. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.