Itinerary advice (5 day Interlaken visit in June)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 8:49:00 #810782

We propose to travel to Interlaken from Lugano in middle of June. After going through various web pages, I have prepared the following itinerary:

Day 1: Lugano to Interlaken Ost, reaching Interlaken by 18.00 Hrs

Day 2: Jungfraujoch

Day 3: Harder Kulm by Walk, Boat ride in ThunSee

Day 4: Schilthorn & Trummelbach Falls

Day 5: Leave from Interlaken West early morning by train to Zurich Airport to catch 9.40 flight.For this we have to be at the airport by 7.45. Hope 5 o’clock train should be ok. My hotel at Interlaken near to Interlaken West station.(500 metres away).

We would also like to have small walks (5 to 6 kms)is to enjoy the surroundings and local life.

Pl let me know your advice/suggestions/recommendations/tips so as to cover maximum in the available time. I presume it is advisable to have Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanking you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 February 2017 at 11:39:31 #858899

Your plan seems reasonable. Congratulations for staying in one area!

It will be difficult to squeeze in another hike. You may consider the Panorama Trail Schynigge Platte: http://www.wanderland.ch/en/r outes/route-0345.html

(2 hours, 6 km). To said time, you have to add the approach to Schynigge Platte (check out the rail time table on this web site).

Where do you plan to start for your hike to Harder Kulm? If from Interlaken, it will be a long hike on a narrow mountain trail. I suggest you take the funicular to Harder Kulm, and hike to Habkern via the Augstmatthorn, you will have (if the weather is good…) a beautiful view of Lake Brienz from the ridge between Harder and Augstmatthorn. See here: http://www.wanderland.ch/en/r outes/route-0344.html (16 km, 6 hours, difficult conditions on mountain trail). From Habkern, a postal bus will bring you back to Interlaken. If you are not sure you can make it, the alternative is to go to Harder Kulm with the funicular, hike towards Augstmatthorn as much as you feel like then hike back on the same path to Harder Kulm.

In any case make sure you have good mountain boots and a supply of drinking water!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 8:19:02 #858900

Hi Bhatws1 and welcome to MySwissAlps,

As Snowman said, it looks like a good itinerary.

If you are unsure about the train time to Zurich airport simply use the SBB timetable and it will show you connections from Interlaken to Zurich airport. Are you needing it arrive at 07:45 (am?) in that case there is not a train connecting from Interlaken that will work for you….

Here is a page on activities in the Interlaken area with some suggested hikes if you haven’t seen it.

The 4 day Swiss Travel Pass may well be the best option for you. Be sure to check the areas of validity on the STP page to check what routes are covered. IE Jungfraujoch is a 25% discount with the STP and not free.

Here is another page about how to choose the best rail pass that could be useful as well (the Swiss Half-Fare Card could be an option as well).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 19:49:21 #858901

Hi snowman & Lucas,

Thank you for your inputs. Shall let you know in case of any further queries. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2017 at 19:26:26 #858902

Hi Snowman,

With reference to hiking at Schynigge Platte, please let me know how difficult or easy it is. I presume the hike route is 5 to 6 kms walk on uneven path in meadows & doesn’t have any major climbs. Is the route generally crowded or totally lonely? Is it marked with direction arrows? I am planning to go independently without a guide.

Thanks,

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 February 2017 at 8:33:26 #858903

Hi bhatws1

I think you are right about the distance. It is on a mountain path, in other words you should have adequate shoes, that’s the main thing. You should also be prepared for quick changes in the weather conditions. I am 67 and would take hiking sticks. but you are probably young enough to do without. As far as I know, the trail is marked with yellow arrows, but it is a good idea to have a map with you.

One specifity of this trail is that part of it is along a deep cliff (on the top side of the cliff!) so I would not advise you to go there if you are subject to vertigo.

http://www.wanderungen.ch/aqu arius/slir/w670-h380-c670x380/tourfiles/000 596/3.jpg?cdate=4165

Otherwise this cliff does not present any major danger, but don’t ask the person you are taking a picture of to “move back two steps please!” 😉

Snowman

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 5:48:35 #858904

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your prompt help. For 3 Night stay at Interlaken, I have almost decided the following itinerary for 2 days.

Day 1: Arrival late evening at Interlaken

Day2- Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn

Day 3-Schynigge Platte, 2 Hr hike at Schynigge Platte; Boat Ride in Lake Thun in evening

Day 3: <To be Decided>

For the third day, pl advise whether I should take Golden Pass Express/Golden Pass Line Trains to Montreaux or I should explore more in Interlaken area? I have to reach Zurich by night.

Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 9:23:54 #858905

Hi Bhatws1,

I would tentatively plan on the Golden Pass line to Montreux and then you can get back to Zurich from there that evening.

However, keep in mind that I wouldn’t visit Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn if the weather is poor. Perhaps leave Days 2 and 3 open until a day or so before so you know what day is best for a mountain trip.

Lucas

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    22 February 2017 at 10:59:17 #858906

Dear bhatws1,

Day 2: You have quite a marathon in mind! I have been to both Junfraujoch and Schilthorn, and have following remark. Going to the Jungfraujoch means going above 3000 m above sea level. Unless you live in Peru, this will be a unique experience for you, and a strain on your body (thin air) because of the quick difference in elevation if you arrive from Interlaken. My advice is you spend two hours there, so that you can enjoy the place in no hurry. You might keep better memories if you go either the Jungraujoch or to Schilthorn, but not both on the same day. Schilthorn is a bit, not much, less high than Jungfraujoch. There is not much to do up there so I can’t advise you to stay two hours, but still relax, maybe have lunch up there. Also mind that these rides are not cheap!

Second Day 3 (presumably Day 4!) You could do the Harder Kulm hike you initially had in mind, or go to Trummelbach Falls. Interlaken is a good base, but the town itself is not exceptional.

I don’t know about your tastes, maybe you like riding trains. If I were you I would skip the Golden Pass and Montreux, and go directly from Interlaken to Zurich Airport, but have a long stopover in Bern. The city is quite charming. In the old town all sidewalks are under galleries, so that sightseeing there is fine even if the weather is lousy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2017 at 6:08:17 #858907

Dear both,

Thanks for your suggestions. @Snowman– I agree Jungfrau with Schilthorn in a day would be too hectic and either of the two should be good. Thanks for inputs.

So I would opt for Jungfrau if weather permits. From SBB online site, I find that trip to Jungfrau from Interlaken Ost will cost CHF 210.80 Full Fare, & 105.40 with Half Fare Pass via either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.

However, I am not clear how much the trip cost will be with Swiss Travel Pass. My understanding is: Free between Interlaken Ost-Grindelwald & Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Interlaken Ost sections; 25% reduction on Grindelwald-Jungfraujoch (Full Fare: 95CHF, With Swiss Pass: 71.30 CHF ?) & Jungfraujoch-Wengen sections(Full Fare: 88CHF, With Swiss Pass: 66 CHF?). Thus with Swiss Pass, the trip should cost 137.30 CHF to & fro?

Thanks and regards,

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 February 2017 at 11:01:12 #858908

Hi bhatws1,

Yes, that’s indeed how it works, and the price you calculated is correct too.

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice (5 day Interlaken visit in June)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.