Itinerary confirmed & Swiss rail pass suggestions?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 14:01:06 #814837

Hello all.

With the assist of the forum and other resources, I crafted our tentative itinerary below. I’m hoping some “Swiss” experts can review and provide feedback. Missing anything that’s a “must see”, doing anything totally not worth it? Would appreciate any help and feedback including what type of rail pass I should visit. I’m worry the plans for 8/17 aren’t that great…

Thanks everyone!!

8/13

Arrival in Zurich, Switzerland (6:30am arrival)

Take train to Lauterbrunnen

Check-In / Drop luggage via Hotel Silberhorn Lauterbrunnen

Explore Trümmelbach Falls – Lauterbrunnen

Allot 1 hour, 15 minutes

Bring jacket / rain jacket

~11CHF / no credit cards accepted

Explore / Leisure Time / Early Evening Call

8/14

Take train to Lucerne

Experience “The Golden Round Trip” – ~$120CHF (Swiss Pass may provide 50% discount) (~4-5 hours) (only experience with nice weather)

Boat Ride from Lucerne to Alpnachstad

Ride up the world’s steepest cogwheel railway

Enjoy views of Pilatus Kulm peak

Glide down via aerial cableway to Kriens

Take bus back to Lucerne, bus stop #1

Explore Lucerne including famous Kapellbrücke foot bridge if time permits or have dinner

Return via train to Lauterbrunnen

8/15

Travel Grindelwald

First Class Walk by Tissot, fat tricycle biking and First Flyer Zip Lining (adventure pass) (4.5 hours including lunch) ($65 CHF)

The Pfingstegg toboggan run (5CHF-8CHF)

8/16

Visit top of Jungfraujoch the highest train station in Europe (weather permitting)

Price: 108 CHF / 2.5 hours each way

Go early to avoid crowds, going up, sit on the right hand side of the train

Bring layers due to weather, bring snacks

Weather permitting

8/17

Walk to the back end of the valley to Stechelberg

Catch cable car to Gimmelwald to Murren and finally to the mountaintop Schilthorn

Enjoy views

On the way back down, take the trail from Murren to Grutschalp where you can catch the tram back down the mountain into downtown Lauterbrunnen. A beautiful hike.

8/18

Travel to Zurich

Rhine Falls

Depart Zurich to Amsterdam during PM

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 18:38:46 #879112

HI laflamme18,

Looks like a nice itinerary indeed. 8/17 seems nice to me as well – what was your concern there?

For rail passes, I would lean towards a Jungfrau Travel Pass. It has great coverage around Lauterbrunnen but you will need to buy a point to point ticket to/from Zurich and Interlaken (and on to Rhein Falls). Another option could be a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass.

In order to know for sure, use the timetable to plan out all trips and find the ticket prices. The first price you see is the half fare travel card rate (for locals or for those with Swiss Half Fare Card – another possible option for you) so be sure to double the fare you see to get the correct regular fare.

With this prices you can now compare the different rail pass options to you. Our spreadsheet here will help you do the math and do comparisons – fairly easily 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 18:41:00 #879113

Thank you so much for the reply! I feel better about my plans!

From your perspective, would you swap anything out? Also, thank you for the tips on rail tickets. Will do research.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 7:03:39 #879114

Hi laflamme18,

As Lucas already said, your itinerary looks fine. No need to change anything. Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Itinerary confirmed & Swiss rail pass suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.