Switzerland itinerary for end of April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 7:08:56 #812836

Hye guys..

Me and my family are planning to visit to Switzerland on the 27th April 2018 and end our trip in Vienna, Austria..

Our planning are more likely 40% cities and 60% scenery.. we’re prefer to rent a car instead of take a train so that we can take our time to explore the city/scenery view and can stop anywhere we want.. and also with the luggage with us, i think it easier to bring a car.

Here is my plan:

27th April (11.00am) : Landed in Geneva

28th April : Stroll in old Town Geneva ; at 5.00pm go to Montreux

29th April : visit Chillon Castle, Lavaux Vineyards, Old Town Montreux

30th April : Visit Gruyeres before continue our journey to Bern

1st May : Half day in the Old town of Bern than go to Lake Blausee (if there is time we’ll like to go to Lake Oeschinen) (sleep in Bern)

2nd May : Harder Kulm near Interlaken, Sielpark before continue to Grindelwald

3rd May : visit Interlaken , Lake Thun, Lake Brienz, Iseltwald (sleep in Grindelwald)

4th May : Lauterbrunnen Valley (sleep in Grindelwald)

5th May : Jungfrau (top of europe) *if the weather okay (sleep in Grindelwald)

6th May : boat cruise in Lake Lucerne (sleep Zurich)

7th May : stroll in old town Zurich

8th May : continue journey to Munich

So there’s my plan for the meantime.. any suggestion would be appreciated.. BTW this trip is a budget trip so all the train ride we probably have to ditch.. 🙁

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 7:22:27 #867845

Hi Shasya07,

I see you’ve been having some talk about the Swiss Half Fare Card on another thread here.
    It is usually a good compliment to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card for the train trips you plan on making along with a rental car. Don’t forget several areas are not accessible by car.

Your itinerary looks quite nice to me. If you need help with train costs you can use our Excel sheet here and compare prices with and without the Swiss Half Fare Card and decide on which trips may be too expensive for your trip – this isn’t the easiest country to travel on a budget! But we do have some tips here on how to save money in Switzerland you might find useful.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 10:52:13 #867846

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply.. i’ll definitely use the excel sheet.. i have two question..

1)How is the traffic in Switzerland? for example from Geneva to Montreux based on google maps is 93.9km so it will take 1hr 13mnt.. so how long should i expect exactly to reach from one location to the other?

2)is my date are okay to visit Switzerland?

thanks in advance,

Sha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 11:10:27 #867847

Hi Sha,

Traffic in Switzerland, to me, is quite light. The roads are narrow and winding except for the major highways so speed limits range from 80km/h up to 120km/h briefly on main highways. I would expect Google maps to be pretty accurate (outside of rush hour).

Honestly, April is a little early for some things as the country switches from winter activities to summer activities. Some cable cars etc. can be scheduled for maintenance in April and May so it is something to think about. As for weather it can be quite pleasant here but rain is something you need to be prepared for.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 August 2017 at 12:59:20 #867848

Hi Sha,

If you’re on a budget I recommend to take a close look at the overall car spendings to make sure you will actually save money. I read in your other thread you are a party of 7 with luggage. That requires a van or two cars. An economy 4 seater car fits 4 people, but only with a little bit of luggage. Certainly not 4 large suitcases. Apart from that parking is nearly always paid and often not cheap. I usually travel by train in Switzerland. Last time I parked in a town center I paid CHF 17 for a couple of hours.

The information at myswissalps.com/ carversustrain might be useful for you.

• The thread ‘Switzerland itinerary for end of April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.