Swiss itinerary help 29th April -11th May

Swiss itinerary help 29th April -11th May

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cassa
Cassa
21 posts
Feb 8, 2018 - 3:56 AM

Seems to me I have picked the worst time for our first trip to Switzerland with lots of things likely to be closed.

Also staying in Zurich for three days -however we have booked for Zurich already. From there the plan is to do some day trips and then perhaps a couple of nights in Lucerne and onto the Golden Pass to Montreal ostay for a couple of nights and then to Zermatt for two nights . then Glacier Express to St Moritz. And stay until we get a train to Budapest?

Lucas
Lucas
7237 posts
expert &
Feb 8, 2018 - 9:01 AM in reply to Cassa

Hi Cassa,

I'm not terribly clear on your question here. But, yes for hiking at least it is not a good time to come to Switzerland. Zurich of course is fine and the mountains near Lucerne are open as well (Rigi, Pilatus & Titlis). In general you are fine except some mountains will be closed for gondola maintenance.

Have a look on this thread for more details: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/gond olarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018

Otherwise you should be fine on the trains and around the cities and altitudes below 2000 meters.

You can use the SBB timetable to plan out all train trips. St. Moritz will be a long trip - 12 to 18 hours with 4+ connections. The best option would be to go to Zurich first - there is a direct train to Budapest in just under 11 hours.

Last modified on Feb 8, 2018 - 9:41 AM by Lucas
Cassa
Cassa
21 posts
Feb 8, 2018 - 9:26 AM in reply to Lucas

Thank you for your input - apart from the long train trip you think we’ll enjoy? We are an older couple so skiing or hiking not really on the agenda.

how long would it take to get back to Zurich to catch train?

Lucas
Lucas
7237 posts
expert &
Feb 8, 2018 - 9:45 AM in reply to Cassa

I'm not clear on what you will be doing yet so I can't say if you'll enjoy your trip. Zurich is the biggest town here and good for art galleries, museums, shopping etc. If you want more mountain experiences I would stay here only 1 night or so then move on.

I am sure you'll like the Golden Pass and Glacier Express - if you like scenic train trips (who doesn't?). :)

You can use the SBB timetable link in my last post to find train connections from any town. St. Moritz to Zurich will be about 3 hours.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018