Itinerary for 18-days Swiss trip in June

• skeptic001
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 May 2022 at 21:45:36 #827269

Hi! We are planning to go to Switzerland for about 3 weeks in June. I’ve never been to Switzerland and would greatly appreciate some suggestion about itinerary. I’ve been going through a tough time at work and won’t be able to make a proper travel plan before leaving. However I tried to do some research and posting my thoughts below.

Goal of the trip:

Mostly to relax and enjoy the Alpine beauty. We have an infant with us and we don’t plan to do any extensive hiking. We would like to enjoy the landscape, good food and relax.

Tentative plan:

I think changing location every other day will be too much for us. Our inbound and outbound flights are from Zurich. I would greatly appreciate any feedback/thoughts/suggestions regarding following or something not mentioned below that you think important.

– I’ve been thinking about staying at Zurich or Lucerne for a few days after landing to recharge ourselves from long flight and jet lag (also adapt with new timezone), and then head to Interlaken.

– It looks like there are lots of scenic places around Interlaken. As we’d like to take things slow, I’ve been thinking renting a place for ~5 days in Interlaken. Will it be too much ?

– After Interlaken, we can go to Zermatt. I guess we can stay at Zermatt for another ~2 days.

– Zermatt to Lausanne. Stay at Lausanne for a few days to relax and see nearby attractions.

– Transportation: I initially wanted to rent a car but it looks like automatic cars are crazy expensive (don’t drive manual). Train should be fine. I’ve travelled in Europe with train in the past. I wast mostly interested about car because I love to stop at random places on the way and soak in the beauty. Car gives me this freedom. I do that a lot when I go to the US and Canadian Rockies. Any feedback about it ? Is it worth renting a car in Switzerland ?

– Any recommendation about adding Lake Como, Appenzell, Liechtenstein etc to the itinerary ? I saw many idyllic images of these places. So just curious.

– Accommodation- as I don’t have a concrete plan it, I am not sure if I should book hotels now. Does it make sense delaying it (either book day before leaving or book after reaching there) ? I’m expecting that June will be less crowds in June.

So in total we can spend ~10 days with above rough itinerary. Any feedback about it please ? As I mentioned earlier, we would like to see the Alps, scenic lakes, mountains, meadows etc. Is there any new place that you’d recommend not mentioned above ? Did I miss any major spot ?

• The thread ‘Itinerary for 18-days Swiss trip in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.