Itinerary for 3 days Interlaken/Lucerne in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 7:35:08 #811070

Good day.

My friend and I are planning to go to switzerland this coming may 17-20, 2017. It would be a big help if you can help me with this. i’m planning to make my itinerary. i’m confused if i will stau in my 3 nights in Lucerne or spend one night in Interlaken. We want to visit jungfraujoch. We also want to roam around lucerne, take a boat ride. What do you think of this? And we want to see Pilatus, Rigi, and Titlis, which one would you recommend among this.

And with regards to the falls, which one would you recommend?

Also, with rail pass, is it advisable to get 3 days rail pass?

Thanks for reading my message.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 17:44:21 #860083

Hi Charmae,

You can certainly stay all 3 nights in Luzern – if the only thing you are doing in the Jungfrau region is visiting Jungfraujoch (it will just make for one long day, but it may be preferably than moving hotels). Luzern (local German spelling) and Interlaken are just under 2 hours apart by train.

It is really hard to say which is the best between Mt. Pilatus, Titlis and Rigi…have you read our information pages on them? Personally I might lean to Mt. Titlis, but its a personal decision there.

Which waterfalls are you choosing between?
    As for the Swiss Travel Pass, you will want either the 3 or 4 day pass. If on one day you are only taking one small or cheap train trip than maybe get the 3 day pass. Otherwise for simplicity sake I would get the 4 day pass.

All the best,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 13:40:00 #860084

Thanks for your reply Lucas. I’m thinking of trummelbache, rhine or mannlichen falls. Which one would be great? Also during my jungfraujoch excursion which i can probably do in half day, do you think i will have time to visit interlaken town, lake brienz or lake thun and end my day in berne to check the town and for dinner then go back to lucerne all in one day? Ill probably get 3 day pass Cause on May 20 we will go home early around 9 am. So ill use the travel swiss pass for May17-19.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:19:08 #860085

Hi Charmae,

I have only been to the RheinFall and it was nice – a bit of a tourist destination which you may or may not be looking for.

I have wanted to see Trümmelbach Falls however – they look really cool and the hiking in the area is impressive.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 23:46:46 #860086

Thanks Lucas. Also during my jungfraujoch excursion which i can probably do in half day, do you think i will have time to visit interlaken town, lake brienz or lake thun and end my day in berne to check the town and for dinner then go back to lucerne all in one day?

Annika
    7104 posts
    16 March 2017 at 14:59:45 #860087

Hi charmae,

That will result in a very long day. The trip from Lucerne to Jungfraujoch already takes 4 hours, and you’ll have to get back the same day. A boat ride from Interlaken Ost to Brienz (instead of the train) would be possible on your way back to Lucerne.

So would a boat ride from Interlaken West to Thun be. You’d then head for Bern, spend some time there and return to Lucerne. I advise you check the timetable to see what this day would look like, and then decide whether you’re fine with the amount of traveling. Links to boat timetables can be found at the right hand of the pages I linked to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2017 at 22:45:07 #860088

Thanks Annika. What im planning to do is start early around 7am from lucerne. After visiting jungfraujoch head off to lake thun cause its easier to go to bern from lake thun i believe. Then spend sometime in bern for dinner. Then go back to lucerne. Hopefully we have enough time to do all this. I dont know how long will it take us to spend in jungfraujoch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 6:06:08 #860089

Hi Charmae,

I would say Jungfraujoch is at least a 2 hour visit – but hard to say once you are there! Keeping your plans flexible is always best!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 12:18:12 #860090

Thank Lucas. I will try to be flexible with my itinerary. Thanks.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for 3 days Interlaken/Lucerne in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.