5 day itinerary in Switzerland – Basel & Luzern

• Elmi27
    Participant
    2 posts
    13 August 2017 at 21:57:24 #812946

Hi,

I have been following this forum for a while and its been helping me a lot to plan my trip. Thanks to all the active members for taking time out to answers all the queries. I have come up with an itinerary for our 5 days trip.

We will be reaching Basel on 17th Aug (1 night stay in Basel and 3 night stay in Lucerne)

Day 1: Arrive in Basel and explore local site seeing.

Day 2: Basel to Rhine falls and travel to Lucerne. After arriving in Lucerne catch a train to Pilatus.

Day 3: Lucerne to Mount Titlis. Spend the day there and back to Lucerne.

Day 4: Lucerne to Jungfraujoch and travel back to Interlaken to catch the Golden Pass train to Montreux and back to Lucerne.

Day 5: Local sight seeing in Lucerne (boat ride) and travel back to Basel to catch the flight.

Would request someone to please validate the same and also suggest if I can squeeze any other attraction. Also I will be taking the Swiz train pass for 4 consecutive days as I dint see any option for 5 days. Since my travel dates are no near I have dropped my plan to buy it online. Will pick it up form Basel station when I arrive. I am aware that you would get 50% discount on Mount Titlis tickets. Are there any tickets for Pilatus and Jungfraujoch? or they are covered in the train pass?

Most of the my journey I am planning to take a train unless is you would suggest any scenic boat ride which I can take on my way.

Thanking you in advance…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 6:26:31 #868278

Hi Elmi27 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days would probably make the most sense and then start it on Day 2.

I would note that Day 2 is quite busy. I’m not sure I would worry too much about the RheinFall personally, especially from Basel and then try to going up to Mt. Pilatus on the same day would be a lot.

Also, day 4 is not really possible. You are looking at 10 or 12 hours just on trains that day. I would pick wither Jungfraujoch or the Golden Pass route but not both.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your trips and decide what you want to do and see. If you are pretty set on your itinerary I would split my hotels to 2 nights in Luzern and 2 in Interlaken to make your travel days easier.

Lucas

Elmi27
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 August 2017 at 7:17:21 #868279

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your quick response. I will go with your advice and drop Rhine falls and directly reach Lucerne on Day 2. Since my hotels are booked I would not be able to change.

On Day 4 can I cover up to Zweisim and return back to Lucern?

Are there any tickets for Pilatus and Jungfraujoch? or they are covered in the train pass?

Also can you suggest any scenic boat ride which I can take on my way.

Thanks again…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 8:49:40 #868280

Hi Elmi27

You can take the train to Zweisimmen or all the way to Montreux if you like. You just have to decide if you want to spend the time doing it. Use my timetable link in my previous post to help you decide on the timings. Note, that the panoramic trains travel between Zweisimmen and Montreux only, though the trains between Interlaken and Luzern are similar.

The Swiss Travel Pass will fully cover Mt. Pilatus, for Jungfraujoch it covers Luzern to Wengen or Grindelwald. From either town you need to buy a ticket to the top (at 25% off with the Swiss Travel Pass).

You can find all the details on what the Swiss Travel Pass covers here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘5 day itinerary in Switzerland – Basel & Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.