Staying in Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken in November

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Fida
Fida
3 posts
Oct 10, 2019 - 2:38 AM

Hi

My daughter and I will be in Switzerland from 31 Oct to 5 Nov. I have booked us in Lucerne from 31 Oct to 3 Nov. Going to Mt Titlis on 2 Nov. We are going to Jungfraujoch on 4 Nov. I was thinking of staying in Lauterbrunnen from 3 - 5 Nov. Maybe even go up to Schilthorn the afternoon on 3 Nov from Wengen. Is my itinerary ok and wondering whether I should stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?

Thereseanne
Thereseanne
2 posts
Oct 10, 2019 - 12:02 PM

We have always had a wonderful experience in Lauterbrunnen.

Ildiko
Ildiko
340 posts
top member &
Oct 10, 2019 - 5:18 PM

Hi Fida, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your itinerary is great.

Make sure to visit Titlis before 4 Nov, as the cable car to the top of the Titlis does not operate from 4 to 15 November 2019 (www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis/gettingthere).

The Funicular Mürren - Allmendhubel does not operate from 12. Oct to 11. December, but you can still visit Schilthorn (www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere).

I also like Lauterbrunnen (www.myswissalps.com/la uterbrunnen) more than Interlaken (www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken), but it is just my personal opinion.You should check the pictures of those towns (see the links above and click on the label "Pictures"). If you still cannot decide, have a look at the accommodations for both, and where you can find a better one, choose that town :)

I hope this helps.

See also:

kim11
kim11
482 posts
top member
Oct 10, 2019 - 7:01 PM

My recommendation is to avoid Interlaken. It is a very touristy little city without much charm. Not in the mountains nor on a lake.

Things will be very quiet in Lauterbrunnen as it will be off-season and some hotels and restaurants will be closed for a break before ski season starts. If you would like a wider choice of lodging, restaurants, etc have a look at Grindelwald. There are pretty views and being larger than Lauterbrunnen a wider selection of amenities during off season. It's an easy trip to Jungfraujoch from there. If you would like to also go to Schilthorn you simply take the train to Lauterbrunnen from Grindelwald to (about 20 minutes) to start your journey

Fida
Fida
3 posts
Oct 11, 2019 - 5:03 AM

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Yes - I heard that Lauterbrunnen will be quiet at that time of the year. I was a bit worried about that. We're booked at Hotel Staubbach for now in Lauterbrunnen. I will look at Grindelwald as an alternative instead of Interlaken. Have taken note also on the Titlis cable car maintenance.

Also - I know the winter season is about to start - does it ever get icy up there in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - can I get around with hiking shoes just fine? Coming from Malaysia - have never been the mountains in the 'in-between' seasons. Thanks again!

Anna
Anna
108 posts
active member &
Oct 11, 2019 - 6:08 AM

Hi Fida,

There is already snow on Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch but not on the lower levels and in the valley. So I think you'll be fine with just your normal hiking shoes if your plan is just to walk around the town and villages.
www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn
www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

Make sure they're waterproof though because it rains quite a bit during the in-between season. Be sure to check the weather forecast and webcams the day before or on the day you travel. You can download the weather forecast and the SBB timetable apps from this page

www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Just scroll down to the weather and transport sections

As you will be staying for a few days in Lucerne, you might also want to consider a side trip to Stanserhorn or Rigi. These are lovely mountains, popular with the locals and easily accesible from Lucerne.

www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn
www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

Wishing you and your daughter a wonderful trip :)

Anna

Last modified on Oct 11, 2019 - 5:13 PM by Anna
Fida
Fida
3 posts
Oct 11, 2019 - 6:12 AM in reply to Anna

Thanks Anna! I feel a bit more confident now doing this trip with my 12-year-old. It will be a mummy-daughter adventure. I didn't check Stanserhorn or Rigi - will do that. Thanks again.

fletch182
fletch182
12 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 2:34 AM

Friday: great choice on Hotel Staubbach. We recently returned from our Switzerland journey and Hotel Staubbach was a highlight. The staff are very personable and you can’t beat the view. Wishing you the best for a memorable journey with your daughter.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019