Itinerary for 7 days based at Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 17:43:14 #811666

Hi,

Greetings from India!

We (self, wife and 2 daughers-13/10yrs) will be traveling to Switzerland from May 18-25. I didn’t want to make one of those touristy towns like Interlaken the base. Therefore, we have managed to book a Chalet near train station in Grindelwald. Also, with kids, we did not want to take the hassle of changing hotels every 2-3 days, therefore the plan is be based at Grindelwald only for the entire duration of 7 nights. This will surely put in some restrictions in visiting only those places from where we can reach back to Grindelwald comfortably by end of the day, but we want to have a relaxed holiday and not rush too much.

We would reach Grindelwald by 18th evening and will need to check-out by 25th morning to proceed to Lussane to take 12:20 PM TGV train to Paris. Therefore, we have 6 clear days with us in Grindelwald. I have thought of doing the following:

19th – Mt. First (cableway, cliff walk, first flyer, etc.) trip. I guess this can be done in half-day. I was hoping to hike from First to Bachalpsee, but I learn this will not open until June-mid.

20th – We have friends in Bern. We are discussing, (being Saturday) possibly they will come down to Interlaken and we plan to do Lake Brienz cruise

21st – Go up Jungfrau. I have been told by travel agents here in India that it can get pretty crowded there so possibly Glacier 3000 or Mt. Titlis could be a better idea. But, I checked on SBB App, Grindelwald to Engelberg will be more than 3 hrs and almost same time for Col-du-Pillon. Kids want to go to Jungfrau (peer pressure 🙂 one of their friends visited last summers)

22nd – Explore Lauterbrunnen Valley. Cableway up to Grutshalp, then hike to Murren (hopefully it wouldn’t be too muddy). Not sure if we should go up to Schilthorn. From Murren to Stechelberg by Cableway, Bus to Lauterbrunnen, see Trumblebachh falls on the way. Further train to Wengen and back to Grindelwald.

23rd – Golden Pass line to Montreaux (reach there by 1220PM), spend some time there and return via Brig to Interlaken (via Goppenstien and Kandesteg). Wanted to have one scenic train journey. Kids desire to see a Chocolate and Cheese factory. I also wanted to take them to Vevey (see Charlie Chaplin house/museum). But I guess, not possible!

24th – Yet to plan, desire list – Glacier 3000 / Lucerne / ?

The thought is to do at least 2 mountains. With Jungfrau done, may be do Titlis along with visit to Lucerne – but on second thoughts, combining Titlis with Lucerne visit will become too tight!

I am sure you would have felt my confusion! Request your kind help in planning and improvising the itinerary. As I said, the idea is to have relaxed holiday, not go back more tired! Even if we miss some things, they will always be the reason to come back next time. I also need to include a visit to chocolate making and/or cheese making for kids. Any other activity you suggest from kids perspective? We may have some time on 19/20/21 to accomplish that

Many thanks.

Pranav

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 6:51:38 #862744

>> We (self, wife and 2 daughers-13/10yrs) will be traveling to Switzerland from May 18-25 … based at Grindelwald only for the entire duration of 7 nights … We would reach Grindelwald by 18th evening and will need to check-out by 25th morning

Your plans look pretty good on the whole. I have some comments about a few of your days.

>> 20th – We have friends in Bern. We are discussing, (being Saturday) possibly they will come down to Interlaken and we plan to do Lake Brienz cruise

As Luzern does not really feature in your plans, why not kill two birds with one stone by meeting your friends in Luzern and spending the day with them there, perhaps doing a cruise on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne)? You would also get to travel on a sector of the Golden Pass route, over the Brünig Pass and along several beautiful lakes. (Although you may have done this sector already, on your way to Grindelwald.)

You could save the Lake Brienz cruise for any spare time you have during your stay in Grindelwald, due to poor weather or other activities taking less time than expected.

>> 21st – Go up Jungfrau. I have been told by travel agents here in India that it can get pretty crowded there so possibly Glacier 3000 or Mt. Titlis could be a better idea.

You are looking at 3.5 to 4 hours travel each way for Glacier 3000 or Titlis.

Don’t let the Jungfraujoch crowds put you off! Anyway, May is not high season, though may well be busy. Reserve seats between Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch if you are worried about getting a seat on the train, but I doubt it would be necessary.

Personally, I wouldn’t wait this long to go up to the Jungfraujoch. I would go up on the very first day when it is clear on top. It may turn out to be the only clear day during your visit – you never can tell!

>> 23rd – Golden Pass line to Montreaux (reach there by 1220PM), spend some time there and return via Brig to Interlaken (via Goppenstien and Kandesteg).

Going to Montreux via the Golden Pass route will take around 4 hours, and returning via Brig and Kandersteg will take 4 to 4.5 hours. Even going back by the fastest route will take 3 to 3.5 hours: so, 7.5 to 8.5 hours on trains for the day. Besides that, the first hour and a half of your proposed return route (the sector Montreux-Martigny-Brig) is pleasant, but nothing special for Switzerland.

>> Wanted to have one scenic train journey.

If you have travelled between Grindelwald and Luzern, you will already have done one sector of the Golden Pass scenic route. Going up to the Jungfraujoch, especially if you go up from Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen, you would be seeing one of the most stunning views in Switzerland.

>> I also need to include a visit to chocolate making and/or cheese making for kids.

You might find the chocolate factory at Broc and the cheese factory at Gruyères are too far away for a day trip (over 3 hours each way). What about taking your children to the Schuh Chocolate Show in Interlaken, which is on at 5pm daily?

http://www.schuh-interlaken.ch/en/conte nt/chocolatier-schokoladen-show

>> 24th – Yet to plan, desire list – Glacier 3000 / Lucerne / ?

may be do Titlis along with visit to Lucerne – but on second thoughts, combining Titlis with Lucerne visit will become too tight!

As I mentioned before, you are looking at 3.5 to 4 hours travel each way for Glacier 3000 or Titlis.

Perhaps consider a PostBus trip from Grindelwald over the Grosse Scheidegg to Meiringen, and return by train. If you time it right, you could also incorporate a cruise on Lake Brienz.

The PostBus ride is an exhilarating ride through dramatic scenery. You could stop off at Grosse Scheidegg or Schwarzwaldalp along the way for lunch – but need to check the bus timetables to make it work. This route starts operating again on 20 May, after having ceased for the winter.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 10:48:46 #862745

Hello…a couple other thoughts…if you would go to Meiringen (either by bus or train) there are:

Reichenbach Falls: http://www.grimselwelt.ch/en/ transport-lift/reichenbachfall

Aareschlucht Gorge: http://www.aareschlucht.ch and/or

Gelmerbahn Funicular (cross a swinging bridge, take a funicular up to a hike around Gelmersee) http://www.grimselwelt.ch/en/ transport-lift/gelmer

Looks like great activities for kids that age.

OhGeologist

• The thread ‘Itinerary for 7 days based at Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.