Itinerary for 8 days in Switzerland with toddler

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 18:44:51 #812268

Hi,

My family (2 Adults and 1 Toddler, 1 year 10 Months old) will arrive in Switzerland from Italy on 1st Sept 2017 for 8 days (including arrival and departure day)

We love to see beautiful landscapes, lakes, mountains, mountain side villages, not hiking (Because of toddler), not museum, not big city. I am on budget.

I plan to buy 8 days swiss travel pass for 2 of us and toddler will be free. I think i donot even need to have family pass.

Below is my itinerary. Please review it regarding its feasibility and doability, specially from toddler point of view.

I am flexible to cut a day from one region and to add the same in another region.

Day 0: From venice to Milan. Stay overnight in Milan

Day 1: From Milan->Lugano->Luzern by Gotthard Panorama Express. Stay in Luzern

Day 2-3-4: Day trip to Titlis/Pilatus/Rigi/Stanserhorn/Lake Lucerne cruise

Day 5: Move to Bernese Oberland by Golden pass. Stay at Murren Or Wengen.

Day 6: Bernese Oberland Region

Day 7: Move to Montreux by Golden pass. Stay at Montreux Or vevey

Day 8: Move to Geneva and return flight.

Need advice for below:

1. As i will enter Switzerland from Venice(Italy), Which option is better

Option 1: From venice to Milan. Stay overnight in Milan. Milan->Lugano->Luzern by Gotthard Panorama Express.

Option 2: Direct flight from Venice to Zurich. Zurich to Luzern by train.

2. I am thinking of making Luzern as base location and do day trips from there.

Is there any other mountain village nearby, from where i can do same day trips with similar kind of comfort level.

3. Out of day trips from Luzern, Titlis/Pilatus/Rigi/Stanserhorn/Lake Lucerne cruise, which all should i choose?

4. Murren Or Wengen? Or any other mountain village economic option in the same area?

5. A day in Bernese oberland region, which one is better roaming in mountain villages Or Schilthorn Or Boat trip Thun?

6. Montreux Or vevey Or any other option for 1 day stay

7. should i cut a day from Luzern and add in either Bernese Oberland Region Or Montreux?

Many Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 June 2017 at 18:15:14 #865129

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps, deepakjain11!

Let’s have a look at your questions:

1. I’d say the Gotthard Panorama Express is much more fun. It’s a scenic and diverse journey, and much more environmentally friendly than a flight for a relatively short distance.

2. Lucerne is a great base. There’s not really a mountain town nearby. Some like Engelberg, but it’s quite isolated and still at about 45 minutes by train from Lucerne.

3. That’s entirely up to you. You’d best compare each of our attraction pages (see myswissalps.com/lucern e/activities) and see what appeals to you most. Each activity has its own specific charm and they’re hard to compare. If weather is good, a mountain top visis is very rewarding. Mind that some mountain tops are quite high and this may cause altitude sickness with your toddler. You can read about precautions on our attraction pages if this applies.

4. Both are great. You can compare information and recommended hotels through our pages on Mürren and Wengen.

5. Again, that’s a matter of personal preference. The three activities you list are all very different. With clear skies I’d personally prefer Schilthorn. Again, do check with your doctor whether the altitude at Schilthorn won’t pose a problem to your toddler. A boat trip is great with overcast skies as well.

6. I think I’d slightly prefer Montreux for its lively and picturesque boulevard.

7. That’s hard to tell. It really depends on what region interests you most.

Yes, the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is a good fit indeed. Please find trusted retailers through myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 18:40:19 #865130

Thanks a lot Annika for your expert opinion.

Need further suggestions with respect to Stroller Or baby carrier, which one is more convenient?Can we take .stroller in cable car/Cogwheel while mountains day trip?.

I looked at myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities. To be frank, everything appeals me :-). Since i have limited days (3 days), i don’t want to end up going to similar kind of mountains having similar views. Out of Titlis/Pilatus/Rigi/Stanserhorn/Lake Lucerne cruise which one should i skip, keeping toddler in mind?

My departure flight from Geneva is at 12:45 PM. Would it be advisable to Start from Montreux in the morning Or should i stay in Geneva previous night?

-Deepak

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 8:06:46 #865131

HI Deepak,

A baby carrier (backpack or front pack) would be easier but I see people with baby strollers as well on the trains and gondolas – your choice.

I think I would take out Stanserhorn as it is right next to Mt. Pilatus and not quite as tall.

Oh staying in Montreux the night before will be fine – use the train timetable here to plan your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 10:22:04 #865132

Thanks Lucas for expert opinion.

One more sugegstion, if i need to choose any two from Titlis, jungfraujoch and schilthornm, then what should be preference order (Keeping toddler in mind)?

As per original Itinerary, should i cut a day from Lucern stay and add in Bernese oberland region?

-Deepak

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    18 June 2017 at 12:41:13 #865133

This website may be useful momstotszurich.com for suggestions on stroller friendly activities throughout Switzerland, even hikes!

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 June 2017 at 15:17:57 #865134

Hi Deepak,

Those mountains are all too high to visit with children under 2 years old, unless your doctor says it’s fine. If it is fine, then I would not combine Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch as they are in the same area (although pretty different). Either choice is fine as they’re all wonderful. Just check out the Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn pages and see what you like most. There are pictures too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 18:04:01 #865135

Thank you for your suggestion Arno! You are a great help!

• The thread ‘Itinerary for 8 days in Switzerland with toddler’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.