Itinerary for 8 nights in Switzerland in April/May

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:11:20 #873807

Ha. Poor Stoos residents….you’d think a brand new funicular could go longer than 5 months without a maintenance break!

Funny how the timetable in April does only give you the route to Stoos via the Morschach cable car but notes a warning that due to limited capacity you should take the funicular at Stoos instead. 🙂 even though it is closed for maintenance…

Either way it only adds 10 minutes to their commute (assuming there are no lines at the cable car).

Random comment:
    funicular in German is Zahnradbahn (toothwheel train)
    In Swiss its Standseilbahn (stand cable car) which confuses my German wife because she thinks of any Seilbahn as being in the air (not just a Luftseilbahn). The argument between Swiss-German and German continues! haha

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:21:10 #873808

Zahnradbahn? But . . . Funiculars have cables not cogs (en.m.wikipedia.org/wik i/Funicular).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:30:08 #873809

She called cable cars or gondolas Luftseilbahns and cogwheel trains and funiculars Zahnradbahns. She’d never even heard the term “Standseilbahn” until today!

Though to be fair she isn’t too concerned about technicalities on trains. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 22:09:11 #873810

Hi Lucas

There are so many different modes of transport in Switzerland it is not really surprising that we get confused! For example until a few years ago I got cable cars and gondolas wrong way round. I thought it was a gondola from Wengen to Männlichen and a cable car from there to Grindelwald. I think the English names conjured up a picture of a car with capacity of up to 6 passengers and a gondola (like the boats in Venice) as having a greater capacity! While I enjoy experiencing the variety of transport on offer, my least favourite is the cable car – too crowded and squashed and unless you are first on board, little chance of a view of where you are going!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 22:13:11 #873811

Hi Lucas

Let us know how you get on visiting Stoos! Thinking of including it as an excursion during our trip in September.

Maggie

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 January 2018 at 5:50:14 #873812

Hi Lucas, yeah, I feel stoos funicular will be fun. Please let us know your opinion after you visit it. And thank you the suggestion of Zermatt.

@Rockostyer, thank you so much for the suggestions for round trip of Stoos.

I need couple of suggestions.

1. Can I replace my first day’s burgenstock’s visit with Stoos considering that I will have half-day?

2. Since Rigi is nearby to Lucerne, where can I add it in my itinerary? With which place I can combine it?

3. If I want to visit Zermatt, what do you think I should avoid going to as mentioned in my itinerary?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 January 2018 at 6:05:17 #873813

1. Stoos Funicular is not operating until 28 April. So no.

2. You could do my Stoos round trip cexcursion an get off boat from Brünnen at Vitznau. Train to Rigi Kulm then to Rigi Kaltbad. Cable car to Weggis. Boat back to Lucerne. Would take best part of day so you’d have to drop something. Rigi is free with STP. Pilatus only 50% discount.

3. You could go to Zermatt instead of Montreux. If you go to Zermatt make sure that at least in one direction between Spiez and Zermatt you go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. Regarding your Golden Pass trip read this http://www.mystsnet.com/filea dmin/doc/01_News/Const ruction_works_MOB.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 8:15:20 #873814

I will let you guys know how the funicular is and take a few photos.

My wife had never even heard of the term Standseilbahn…perhaps its due to her coming from the flat areas east of Berlin?! 🙂

In my head I group all small types of transport (train-like) going up a steep hill as a funicular ;). Whether it goes up with cogs or cables. Clearly don’t ask me detailed train questions. 🙂

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    15 January 2018 at 20:26:54 #873815

Thank you both of you for suggestions. That’s good suggestion of combining Stoos with Rigi. I have added it to my itinerary. You are correct that pilatus is 50% off for STP. Instead I will use that much money in Matterhorn.

please find below my revised itinerary (I have also considered the closures at some places)

26th April (Will use STP) (Half-Day)

Arrival on Zurich Airport at noon. Will take train to Interlaken and checkin to Accommodation.

After settling luggage, will do Lake Brinze – Aare Gorge – Unterseen – Interlaken

27th April (will use STP) (Full-day)

Interlaken, Wengen, Kleine Scheidig, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald to First Cliff Walk, Wengen, Interlaken

28th April (Will use STP) (full-Day)

Interlaken, Wengen, Murren, Schilthorn, Piz Gloria, Thrill Walk, Gimmelwald, Stechelberg, Trummelbach, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Interlaken

29th April ( will use STP) (full-Day)

*Interlaken, Zermatt, Matterhorn, Spiez, Interlaken*

30th April (will use STP) (full-day)

Will check out from Interlaken and go to Lucerne.

After settling luggage, will do Burgenstock – Kehrsiten – Burgenstock resort – Lucerne (Lion Monument Chapel Bridge)

1st May (Will use STP) (full-Day)

Lucerne – Engelberg – Mount Titlis – Lucerne

2nd May (Will use STP) (full-Day)

Lucerne, Schwyz, Stoos, Brünnen (cable car), vitznau (by boat), rigi kulm, rigi kaltbad, weggis, Lucerne.

3rd May (will use STP) (full-day)

Will check out from Lucerne and go to Zurich. Will do round trip of Rhine Falls and explore Zurich.

4th May (No STP) (Half-Day)

Zurich – We have flight by noon. Hence will relax and packup.

Please suggest me if any improvement is required.

However, I am still missing following, plz suggest me where should I add it.

1. As per Rockostyer, Golderpass will be closed. I am going to Zermatt but I won’t be able to use Glacier express because of its timings. Any chance of using any Panoramic train at any of the day or do I need to spend separate day for it?

2. I am still not sure where can I add visit to Chocolate factory. Plz suggest a good place.

3. Can I carry food (ready to cook packets, home made Indian breads etc.) with us to Switzerland? Any restriction in this?

Thanks,

Pratik

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2018 at 20:34:43 #873816

Hi Prati,

Golden Pass is not closed. Just disrupted slightly by bus replacing train on one section.

If you go to Zermatt make sure that at least in one direction between Spiez and Zermatt you go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. Between Brig and Zermatt you wil cover a small part of the Glacier Express route. Probably on a regular train.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    16 January 2018 at 3:34:43 #873817

Thanks a lot. I will look into it.

What is your opinion on overall review of Itinerary?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2018 at 3:43:06 #873818

Looks fine. Sorry I don’t have any recommendations on chocolate factories. There is a chocolate shop every 20 metres or so in the Swiss cities. Also don’t know what the regulation are for taking foodstuff into Switzerland. This http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/arrivals-and-departures/customs-regulations only mention plants.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 January 2018 at 6:02:55 #873819

Hi Pratik,

You’ll find a link to details about import and export of goods and food here under “Government & Visa”: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites. I would recommend to keep things simple and not bring food as there is so much available in any supermarket in Switzerland: vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, instant meals and much more. Food quality is very good, so have fun trying it out!

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    16 January 2018 at 7:10:16 #873820

Thanks Arno. I would be happy to have your opinion on above mentioned itinerary.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 January 2018 at 6:27:22 #873821

Hi Pratik,

Overall your plan looks good but two things can be improved:

• April 26: do double check the timetable if all of that fits in the few hours you have left that day. I think one attraction might be doable, not two.
    • April 28: you will need to remove Wengen from this route, then it makes sense.

Have fun!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2018 at 2:49:54 #873822

Hi Lucas,

Still going to Stoos today? Looks like heavy snow falling at the present (03:00am your time).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 6:52:53 #873823

Yup! Heading out in an hour or so. I heard there was supposed to be snowing there -sounds nice. Zurich is rainy 🙁

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2018 at 6:58:51 #873824

Sweet. Looking forward to some photos. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 9:50:38 #873825

Stoos trip report posted here.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    2 February 2018 at 3:04:48 #873826

Hi Guys, Thank you for the all help you did till date.

I was going through the timetable for my itinerary. It seems, my plan to visit Klein Matterhorn on 29th April, 2018 won’t work as sbb app is not showing any connection on this day. Any idea if the cable car to Klein Matterhorn is closed on the mentioned day?

If it is really closed, is it preferable to go to Montreux and Glacier 3000? Or do you recommend any other place which is open on this day?

Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘Itinerary for 8 nights in Switzerland in April/May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.