Which pass for itinerary Montreux Wengen Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 6:13:33 #812403

The following is the itinerary I have been working on for my trip to Switzerland next year (2018). I’m pretty happy with the way it is shaping up but I do have a couple of queries:

We would like to take the Golden Pass route from Montreux to Wengen. The options are: A) departing Montreux at 8:44 and arriving Wengen 13:21 (4 changes) and B) departing Montreux at 9:44 and arriving Wengen 13:51 (3 changes). Could someone advise the most scenic route between these two options.

The 8:44 train has listed the MOB Belle Epoque in the train timetable but I am unsure whether if it is from Montreux to Zweissimen OR Zweissimen to Spiez.

The one activity I would like to add, is to visit Geissbach Falls and hike from Geissbach See to Iseltwald. Can anyone suggest how I can fit this into my itinerary?

I have “done the math” and it looks like the Swiss Travel Pass will be our best pass option and the train stations I need to purchase tickets for would be from Lyon to La Plaine and Bellinzona to Milan. Could someone confirm this for me please.

13/06 Montreux DEP Lyon 8:34 ARR Montreux 12:10 via Geneva – PM Chateau (STP from La Plaine?)

14/06 Montreux Chocolate Train DEP 8:57 RET 17:34 – has to be Thursday due to train timetable

15/06 Montreux Lavaux

16/06 Montreux Lavaux or Zermatt (Matterhorn – weather dependent)

17/06 Wengen DEP Montreux 8:44 or 9:44 via Zweissimen (GP) – Walk Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

18/06 Wengen Jungfraujoch / First (First Flyer etc) (thanks Slowpoke)

19/06 Wengen Berne / Lake Thun

20/06 Wengen Schilthorn, Murren, Gimmelwald, Trummelbach Falls / Stechelberg

21/06 Lucerne DEP Wengen or Brig to Chur (GEX), to Lucerne (long day)

22/06 Lucerne Mt Pilatus (Golden Round Trip) / Swiss Transport Museum

23/06 Lucerne Mt Rigi / Old Town

24/06 Milan Gotthard Panorama Express – Lucerne to Milan (STP to Bellinzona?)

Looking forward to your replies.

Travelsmoo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 June 2017 at 9:25:09 #865745

Hi Travelsmoo-

<<“The one activity I would like to add, is to visit Geissbach Falls and hike from Geissbach See to Iseltwald. Can anyone suggest how I can fit this into my itinerary?”>>

Without working on your calendar, at this moment, I suggest that you make sure to use the funicular:

http://www.giessbach.ch/en/hi storical-funicular-railway.html

Please note the spelling – “Giessbach” is pronounced very differently from “Geissbach.”

I did that walk from Brienz around the end of the lake to Iseltwald a few years ago. It is an easy walk, but I do not recall anything to make it memorable. Lunch or a coffee (or tea) on the terrace of the Hotel Giessbach on a nice day is pleasant. You can look across the lake and wish that you were taking the cograil train up to the summit of the Brienzer Rothorn.

If you have not done so, plan on the walk from Männklichen to Kleine Scheidegg in that direction.

You’ll never forget it, if you have clear weather.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

You should be able to do it. The trail -opening date is usually no later that June 15th. This year, the snow has left a bit earlier. It is still the tail end of Winter at those altitudes in early June. Many hotels open around the 15th.

On June 24th, the STP will get you to the border. Probably Chiasso. Belinzona is some distance from the border.

Don’t forget that this map, zoomed in, is particularly useful for rail lines and public transport stations (use the menu tools under Points of Interest/Traffic).

map.search.ch/?pos=723740,116304&z=64 &poi=zug

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 June 2017 at 11:09:14 #865746

Hi Travelsmoo,

Slowpoke is right about the tickets to Milan. You only need tickets from Chiasso. You can buy those from any of the websites listed here.

La Plaine is just outside of Geneva. If your train from Lyon actually stops there then indeed you only need tickets from Lyon to La Plaine. Otherwise just buy tickets to Geneva. The websites listed here sell them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 12:29:49 #865747

Thanks Arno and Slowpoke.

Can you give any insight about the trains from Montreux regarding the number of connections 3 verse 4 and which would be more scenic.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 June 2017 at 12:57:37 #865748

Hi Travelsmoo,

As long as you travel via the Golden Pass route (via Zweisimmen) you’ll be on the most scenic route to Wengen, regardless of the number of connections.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 June 2017 at 13:16:48 #865749

Hi Travelsmoo-

Please start to use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It will list all the trains from Montreux to Wengen, including those that do not take the Golden Pass route. Make sure to use the “via” option and enter Zweisimmen.

You can then see the routings.

<<” We would like to take the Golden Pass route from Montreux to Wengen. The options are: A) departing Montreux at 8:44 and arriving Wengen 13:21 (4 changes) and B) departing Montreux at 9:44 and arriving Wengen 13:51 (3 changes). Could someone advise the most scenic route between these two options. The 8:44 train has listed the MOB Belle Epoque in the train timetable but I am unsure whether if it is from Montreux to Zweissimen OR Zweissimen to Spiez.”>>

This link will help with the Golden Pass Route and explain the types of train:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

However, if you use the timetable, it will answer your questions. You must enter Zweisimmen as a “via” or you will get routed through Visp or Bern….both are faster routes.

Check the details on the trains with 3 changes or the trains with 4 changes. You do that by clicking on the “+” to the right or by clicking on the line showing for the route.

That will show you that they are equally scenic. If you wish, you can display the intermediate stops along the route(s). click on the “+” along the vertical line which appears after you open the route details. The route details will also tell you which trains are “Bell Epoque” or otherwise, and on which section of the route.

For that question, a map is often useful, but you will not need it in this case.

However, it might give you a sense of how the journey is broken into sections:

map.search.ch/?pos=598248,154848&z=32

Slowpoke

PS for Arno, et al., or Alpenrose, or Maggie, or…..

Have you found how to display the route map for the journey within the new timetable format? That was a useful feature of the old format.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:57:57 #865750

Hi Slowpoke,

No, I haven’t seen that feature in the new timetable yet. I hope they’re still planning to add it. They’ve added other features since it first launched it I think, like the “Show train information” link for certain trains, showing the carriages and direction of travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 6:26:43 #865751

>> PS for Arno, et al., or Alpenrose, or Maggie, or…..Have you found how to display the route map for the journey within the new timetable format? That was a useful feature of the old format.

I still use the old timetable format, which retains all its features, including maps, and is still available at the following link:

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en?showAdvancedInput=1

I only use the new timetable format if I am posting screenshots, in order not to confuse people who are accessing the timetable in the new format.

Both formats definitely seem to be linked to the same database. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new timetable is released in October though.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 June 2017 at 8:29:52 #865752

<<” It will be interesting to see what happens when the new timetable is released in October though.”>>

Hi Alpenrose-

Thanks.

I’m cynical. Enjoy it while you can. ;-(

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 14:26:06 #865753

Like Alpenrose I am still using the old format – our trip is coming up soon and I haven’t the time or to be honest the inclination at the moment to try and learn to navigate the new one! Perhaps after our return I will give it a go! Just hope the old version remains available long-term though – much easier to use and understand in my opinion.

Maggie

• The thread ‘Which pass for itinerary Montreux Wengen Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.